Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

which reprap printer can print reinforced carbon fiber? with 350c nozzle and 130C bed? I'm building a nano satellite drinking smiley

Posted by the robobuilder 
Ok so hello,,

As this forum is full of mentors so i wanted to know that which printer can print reinforced carbon fiber(space quality) as this material require high temp around 385C nozzle and 140C bed...??

Or is there any other way to build it with that specification like diy thing?
You're likely to need a heated chamber to print without warping issues. Ideally the heated bed should be above the glass transition temp it the polymer has a sharp transition. Chamber temp is a little less defined. Few in the RepRap comunity go that far, and it will require careful design to avoid over constraint and cope with thermal expansion. For the sort or temperatures you're looking at for DIY I would look at building the printer into a second hand oven. All steppers and electronics will need to be out of the chamber and if you're looking at temps over 80 you'll need to looks at the spec sheets of everything to ensure they'll survive the elevated temp and not leak out lubricant etc.

Given the cost of the target market, and that if you are planning this for a company proving compliance with PUWER won't be a small exercise I'd suggest a commercial machine capable of working with PEEK isn't as expensive as it first seems.

All that said it's the sort of project I would love to have a crack at with costs covered! :-D
WesBrooks
You're likely to need a heated chamber to print without warping issues. Ideally the heated bed should be above the glass transition temp it the polymer has a sharp transition. Chamber temp is a little less defined. Few in the RepRap comunity go that far, and it will require careful design to avoid over constraint and cope with thermal expansion. For the sort or temperatures you're looking at for DIY I would look at building the printer into a second hand oven. All steppers and electronics will need to be out of the chamber and if you're looking at temps over 80 you'll need to looks at the spec sheets of everything to ensure they'll survive the elevated temp and not leak out lubricant etc.

Given the cost of the target market, and that if you are planning this for a company proving compliance with PUWER won't be a small exercise I'd suggest a commercial machine capable of working with PEEK isn't as expensive as it first seems.

All that said it's the sort of project I would love to have a crack at with costs covered! :-D

Just a side note, I believe PUWER is only effective in the UK.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Yeah, fair point. Certainly a regional thing. I would expect the same sort of legislation/regulations in other EU countries too as our laws tend to be harmonised with theirs. Outside EU and UK, no idea.
The Stratasys 400mc prints Ultem 9085 at 185c chamber temp. 5 degrees lower than the Tg. PEEK or PEKK would be a lower (chamber) temp option. A chamber temp slightly lower than the Tg seems to be typical. There is no heated bed in the 400mc. It is the same temp as the chamber. Intamsys is about your only reasonably priced option that can effectively print the high performance plastics other than Stratasys' AFAIK. If you can wait a little longer Stratasys' heated chamber patent is due to expire and you will see a lot more options for high temp FFF machines. Several are presently in the works and waiting for the patent to end.
Thanks for the notes on TG. I've got a few ideas on the back burner which will need a heated chamber.
WesBrooks
Thanks for the notes on TG. I've got a few ideas on the back burner which will need a heated chamber.

Sure.
I was going off of memory this morning and the Tg for the 9085 was incorrect. It is 185 also so chamber and Tg are the same for 9085. The Ultem 1010 was the one that has the chamber set about 5 degrees lower than its Tg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login