Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adding Headers to Arduino Like Board

Posted by WesBrooks 
Adding Headers to Arduino Like Board
June 14, 2019 05:35AM
Hi All,

I've got a Dev board for a microprocessor that comes with holes in the right place for arduino expansion headers, but none added.

I was planning to use a temperature controlled soldering iron and lead free solder from a reel to fit these. Should I avoid this in favour of solder paste and some sort of focused hot air gun? Recommendations for the latter if the soldering iron is a big no-no?

My plan was to fit the headers in the holes, then put a shield on the board to hold the headers square before soldering.

Thanks.
Re: Adding Headers to Arduino Like Board
June 14, 2019 07:09AM
WesBrooks
Hi All,

I've got a Dev board for a microprocessor that comes with holes in the right place for arduino expansion headers, but none added.

I was planning to use a temperature controlled soldering iron and lead free solder from a reel to fit these. Should I avoid this in favour of solder paste and some sort of focused hot air gun? Recommendations for the latter if the soldering iron is a big no-no?

My plan was to fit the headers in the holes, then put a shield on the board to hold the headers square before soldering.

Thanks.

Could you show a photo? I usually just solder headers with a soldering iron (not even temperature controlled) and it works fine. For SMD's you need the hot air gun, but for every through-hole component a soldering iron will do in the usual cases.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
June 14, 2019 08:23AM
Yeah, sure.

ATSAME70-XPLD
June 14, 2019 08:33AM
WesBrooks
Yeah, sure.

[attachment 111674 DSC_3943-red.JPG]

ATSAME70-XPLD

Ohhh yeah, that's fine! Just don't use too much solder and try to heat it as short as possible of course. I assume you already have some experience in soldering if you have a temp. controlled soldering iron so you should be good. Also, it's a very good idea of you to hold them in place using a breakout board. I did it the same way when I received stepper drivers that didn't have the pins soldered on yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2019 08:33AM by Ohmarinus.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
June 14, 2019 09:04AM
Thanks. Yeah ok with the Iron, but not done much if anything with ICs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login