Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Do I have to sacrifice the filament runout sensor for 32 bit?

Posted by Schild0r 
Do I have to sacrifice the filament runout sensor for 32 bit?
June 24, 2019 11:51AM
Hey there,

I am currently thinking of replacing my MKS Gen L with an SKR1.3 Board.
Since I have a bigger CoreXY (300x300x350) machine and may want to use some higher print speeds I guess 32 bit is the way to go.

Good thing is MKS Gen L and SKR 1.3 are the same fomat thus I can use the same mounting etc.

Bad thing is I think the SKR 1.3 has less usable I/O Pins so I may have to scrap the filament runout sensor.
Do you guys see a possibility to keep it?

My current layout is as follows:
I need (additional) digital pins for
- Two extruders/hotends with each its own auto-cooling-fan
- BLTouch
- StatusLED (Neopixel only uses one D pin)
- Filament runout sensor
- 10 TX/RX pins for TMC2208 UART

Subtracting the TX/RX pins since they are already hardwired on the board I need 5 I/O pins for the additional features.
Lets now have a look at the SKR1.3

It looks like I am short on one pin (which I decided to be the filament runout sensor then)

But I don't have any experience with the SKR1.3 Board or the 32 bit boards and Marlin 2.0 in general so if you guys see a possibility to keep the filament runout sensor on the SKR1.3 please let me know
Re: Do I have to sacrifice the filament runout sensor for 32 bit?
June 24, 2019 01:52PM
That was one reason I decided to go with a Re-ARM/RAMPS solution instead of the SKR 1.3 when I upgraded my machine to 32 bit. In my case it was the lack of a PS_ON pin plus available pins to run RGBW LEDs. I like the fact that the SKR 1.3 handles TMC drivers without extra wiring, but unfortunately the lack of GPIO pins is a problem in my use case.
June 24, 2019 05:13PM
MMcLure
That was one reason I decided to go with a Re-ARM/RAMPS solution instead of the SKR 1.3 when I upgraded my machine to 32 bit. In my case it was the lack of a PS_ON pin plus available pins to run RGBW LEDs. I like the fact that the SKR 1.3 handles TMC drivers without extra wiring, but unfortunately the lack of GPIO pins is a problem in my use case.

But wait, I think you should be able to manage the PS_ON pin in pins with Marlin, no? Or does it need to be a physical PS_ON pin that is impossible to set to a specific pinout?

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
June 25, 2019 04:21AM
By the way I was wondering whether you could connect TMC2208 UART the "complicated" way to the SKR.

I know on the SKR there are Jumpers for using UART which you can set if you have all the pins facing downward on the TMC2208.
But since I used mine on the MKS Gen L before I have two pins soldered facing upwards to connect a RX and TX wire (the latter with the 1K Resistor) to it like this

Can I just connect the TX and RX ends to the jumper pins to use UART too?
I obviously have no clue how the board handles the internal wiring for UART
June 25, 2019 04:49AM
You might be able to connect the pins directly to the board but I am also doubting where.

I think it would be safest to just reverse the pins to the bottom of the board again. I don't see any pins labeled Rx or Tx on the board on any side:
[github.com]

June 25, 2019 08:46AM
Ohmarinus
I don't see any pins labeled Rx or Tx on the board on any side:
[github.com]

I am not sure either but in reference to the SKR1.3 pinout from above (my first post) there are pins stated for UART (top middle) I guessed they could be the ones below every driver...
Like this:

But in that case it could be that the 1K Resistor is already connected to the TX pin... this would not help me since I would have another Resistor then in line with the wire...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2019 08:49AM by Schild0r.
June 26, 2019 02:21PM
Ohmarinus
MMcLure

But wait, I think you should be able to manage the PS_ON pin in pins with Marlin, no? Or does it need to be a physical PS_ON pin that is impossible to set to a specific pinout?

Setting the PS_ON pin to a generic GPIO pin is not a big deal - just a tweak to the pins.h file for the board. However pretty much all of the pins that are available as GPIO on for example a RAMPS are directed to the stepper driver jumpers on the SKR. Which makes them really easy to use for driving TMC steppers but makes them a real pain to use as GPIO if you're using "dumb" steppers. I just wish they'd added a GPIO pin header for those of us still using dumb steppers. All of the easily available GPIO pins on the EXP1/EXP2 connectors are taken up by an LCD.
June 26, 2019 05:52PM
MMcLure
Ohmarinus
MMcLure

Setting the PS_ON pin to a generic GPIO pin is not a big deal - just a tweak to the pins.h file for the board. However pretty much all of the pins that are available as GPIO on for example a RAMPS are directed to the stepper driver jumpers on the SKR. Which makes them really easy to use for driving TMC steppers but makes them a real pain to use as GPIO if you're using "dumb" steppers. I just wish they'd added a GPIO pin header for those of us still using dumb steppers. All of the easily available GPIO pins on the EXP1/EXP2 connectors are taken up by an LCD.

Ahhh, so if you're using only E0 it might be possible to remap the pins from E1 to do the PS_ON? smileys with beer

June 27, 2019 03:21PM
Ohmarinus
Ahhh, so if you're using only E0 it might be possible to remap the pins from E1 to do the PS_ON? smileys with beer

That would probably work.
June 27, 2019 04:14PM
I had a filament run-out sensor on my printer that had a smoothieboard. I believe it can be set up to pause the print and resume when filament is loaded, but I didn't do that because the printer was at the makerspace (using it would be too complicated), so I just had it stop the print and shut off the heaters.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 22, 2019 02:00PM
Hi,

Maybe a little late, but...

Have you considered adding a TFT screeen to your MKS1.3? These ones have a few I/O expansions, useful for filament runout sensor, etc:

Bigtreetech TFT35 V2.0 Touch Screen Smart Display for SKR 1.3

You may have to give up on your existing LCD, I haven't been able to have both working at the same time (haven't spent much time on it anyway).

Just an idea for future reference,

Joaoabs
December 25, 2019 09:26PM
You could possibly use the Max end stops.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login