Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BLTouch - Probe accuracy and strange behaviour - Some tests

Posted by Starliner 
BLTouch - Probe accuracy and strange behaviour - Some tests
June 28, 2019 06:22AM
Hi all,
in order to check the accuracy of the BLTouch probe mounted on my machine, I've run multiple bed probing sessions while using two different BLTouch settings (M558).

Specifically:
  • Bed size: 800x400 mm.
  • Number of probe points: 25.
  • Probe area: 2100.0 cm².
  • Bed temperature: 45 °C
  • BLTouch settings 01: M558 P9 F200 H5 T8000 B0.
  • BLTouch settings 02: M558 P9 F150 H5 R0.3 T8000 A5 B1.

I've run 10 probing session using "Settings 01" and 10 probing session using "Settings 02", totally collecting 500 measures.

So I've calculated the Standard Deviation for each probeb point (for the same Setting) and subsequently the arithmetic average between the standard deviations values, obtaining those results:
  • For Settings 01: 0.0756
  • For Settings 02: 0.0821

Aside from the big absolute values (not so good in order to print a 0.1 mm first layer height) I've noticed a couple of "strange" things:
  • Ideally, slowing down the probing speed ("F") while adopting the parameters "R", "A" and "B1" should have led to a better results, but it does not seem so.
  • The 3D physical map of the surface of the bed follows the 3D map of the Standard Deviation values for each point, as if the BLTouch instrumental error depends by the travel made by the BLTouch pin while probing!

I realize that 10 bed probing for each Setting will not produce good representative statistical samples, anyway your considerations about the results will be will be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Understanding the universe since the last century.
Re: BLTouch - Probe accuracy and strange behaviour - Some tests
July 01, 2019 03:41AM
Here is an update showing, in graphical way, the "map" of the standard deviations and the map of the heights of the probeb points.
Thnak you!

Understanding the universe since the last century.
Attachments:
open | download - BLTouch_accuracy_test_01.JPG (80.1 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login