Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can ramps 1.6 print petg and polycarbonate?

Posted by daxzero 
July 06, 2019 05:56AM
Hi All, Im beginner in reprap, but i have 3d printer by myself and wish to build custom 3d printer.

Re: Can ramps 1.6 print petg and polycarbonate?
July 06, 2019 06:18AM
PETG is no issue hotend 230-250 °C bed 75-90 °C

Printing in polycarbonate requires a hot end that reaches temperatures of 290 to 315 degrees Celsius. Your print bed temperature must be able to reach 140 to 145 degrees Celsius.

can the ramps 1.6 do these temperatures? Well the only components that is involved is the mosfets and its an unknown since they aren't opensource.
If the bed mosfet is used directly to control a high temperature dc heated bed, I suspect not. You would need a external MOSFET.

But you should probably be looking at mains powered bed so the mosfet only turns on a external Solid state relay.
Your also going to need a decent all metal hotend and decent thermistor (most stop at 300c) or perhaps switch to a thermocouple (this requires an interface board.)

Your also going to need a real printer... no printed parts anywhere near the 300c areas! no acrylic either
July 06, 2019 10:29AM
Do you have the part number/model for the external MOSFET or where to get it?

What kind of high temperature bed can be used to?
July 06, 2019 12:53PM
RAMPS limitations will be the least of your problems in a printer that's made to print PC.

What's your budget and schedule for the design/build?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
July 06, 2019 01:26PM
i want to build a big 3d printer, maybe 400 x 400 x 400mm with ramps 1.6.

Also wondering does ramps 1.6 can print PC filament?
July 06, 2019 02:44PM
daxzero
Also wondering does ramps 1.6 can print PC filament?

Maybe to make it clear: The question is not formulated correctly since Ramps 1.6 is not needed to print PC. You can also use Ramps 1.4 or any other controller. Anything. As long as it supports a heated bed and hotend. So you could even use sanguinololu with an SSD relay for the heated bed. The question should be: 'What hotend?' or maybe 'What kind of machine should I build?' Open chamber, closed heated chambed, etc. and 'What kind of heated bed do I need?'

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
July 06, 2019 05:58PM
If he's trying to print PC, he'll need a closed machine with a heated chamber. He'll have to isolate the motion components from the heat, and probably use a water cooled hot-end and Bowden extruder.

daxzero, I fully support your desire to build a printer yourself, but building one to print PC is a daunting task even for someone with experience. I suggest you scale back your plans to something smaller and simpler until you know what you're doing. It will take a significant outlay of $ to build for PC printing, and your focus on RAMPS sounds like maybe there's a significant budget limitation. If you have the funds to build a PC printing machine, you won't want anything as cheesy as RAMPS anywhere near it.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
July 06, 2019 08:36PM
ok thanks to all.

1. what is best power supply for ramps 1.6?
2. where to get firmware for ramps 1.6?
July 07, 2019 02:38AM
the_digital_dentist
If he's trying to print PC, he'll need a closed machine with a heated chamber. He'll have to isolate the motion components from the heat, and probably use a water cooled hot-end and Bowden extruder.

I know, these are example questions because I think dax should know about these important factors winking smiley

However, judging by the short replies from dax I am suspecting a troll maybe. With this attitude building such a complicated printer will be a big challenge.

Dax: You would be better off starting with a different board that is more widely known and that has good community support. Go for a 24v setup because you need to use a heated bed constantly at high temp and with 24v they heat up faster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2019 02:39AM by Ohmarinus.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login