PID autotune for the bed
July 25, 2019 08:08PM
I am running a custom built printer with a mini-rambo board and Marlin firmware. I sent M303 E-1 S80 and I am getting "Autotune failed: bad extruder number" I came up with this line after watching a few Y/t vids. According to what I've seen E-1 should represent the bed heater. Is there something I am doing wrong?

If I haven’t screwed it up yet, I’m not thinking hard enough!

CoreXY, Titan Aero, Duet WiFi, custom design and build
Cartesian, E3D v6 hotend, Bondtech QR extruder, custom design and build
Re: PID autotune for the bed
July 26, 2019 12:49AM
as long as you have your heated bed configured (and you have a thermister defined for the heated bed) that should work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2019 12:57AM by Dust.
July 26, 2019 10:43AM
I have the thermistor defined for the heated bed. I am not sure what you mean “heated bed configured” the printer prints fine accept for an occasional “run away” error. Is there something else that needs to be “configured”?

July 26, 2019 10:53AM
Just the headted bed pin... which is normally automatically set when you choose a motherboard
July 27, 2019 12:11PM
oK, I am totally lost. What can I do to correct this (in specific terms please)?

July 27, 2019 07:46PM
Do you have the PIDTEMPBED configuration variable enabled in your configuration? If you don't, the bed will be configured to use bang-bang control instead of PID, so PID tuning doesn't make any sense.
July 28, 2019 08:37AM
Ahhhhhh..... ok. That gives me something to check. My guess is you hit it on the nose. Didn’t know about PIDBEDTEMP..

Thank you.

July 28, 2019 11:36AM
I could never get the PID Autotune to correctly function, the numbers it would give always gave me some kind of temperature error during 3D Printing.

Eventually decided to just use the Bang-bang with the Marlin defaults - This has never failed me for both the Nozzle and Bed.
This not be the best way though I cannot complain about the quality of my 3D Prints.

Though one day may try to again to Autotune them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2019 11:37AM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
July 29, 2019 01:49PM
There have been some recent changes in the latest Marlin (bugfix-2.0.x) that should greatly improve PID performance, specially for the bed. You might want to try the latest bugfix-2.0.x sources.
July 29, 2019 02:25PM
MMcLure
There have been some recent changes in the latest Marlin (bugfix-2.0.x) that should greatly improve PID performance, specially for the bed. You might want to try the latest bugfix-2.0.x sources.

Thank you ! an I do have Marlin 2.0 on my machines

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2019 02:26PM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
July 29, 2019 05:17PM
The changes in question are only a few weeks old (and there was a commit last night that is also supposed to improve PID behavior). I haven't had any real problems with PID on the bed and hot end, either with the old code in 1.1.x or the new code in 2.0.x, although I think I see somewhat less oscillation around the setpoint at the beginning of a print with the code from a couple of weeks ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2019 05:28PM by MMcLure.
July 30, 2019 01:58PM
MMcLure
Do you have the PIDTEMPBED configuration variable enabled in your configuration? If you don't, the bed will be configured to use bang-bang control instead of PID, so PID tuning doesn't make any sense.

YEP. That was my problem. Uncommitted it and the Autotune ran fine. Thank you very much

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login