Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Huge quality differences between Simplify3D and PrusaSlicer

Posted by Schild0r 
Huge quality differences between Simplify3D and PrusaSlicer
July 27, 2019 03:32PM
Hey there, I was just installing PrusaSlicer bacause I like the division of the print settings into "filament" "printer" and "print" and because you get finer settings
I manually ported my print settings form S3D.
Unfortunately the prints I get from PrusaSlicer look like garbage.

I printed two Benchies one sliced by S3D (this one took 1h17min) and one by PrusaSlicer (3h2min) for comparison:

The one sliced by S3D looks very good IMO but the one from PrusaSlicer looks... kinda porous...
It looks like underextrusion but I don't know how because the settings (I especially checked Extrusion MP (96%), Extrusion Width (0,48mm) Nozzle Dia (0,4mm) and Filament Dia (1,75mm) ) are the same.
You can compare the profiles. the .ini files are from PrusaSlicer and the .fff is from S3D but you can open both in a text editor of your choice.
Also there is a flaw across one or more layers at about 8mm on the PrusaSlicer Benchy (just below the railing) but I don't know whether this was case by the Slicer or by something else (would not know by what tho)
The only thing that looks better on the PrusaSlicer Benchy are the top layers but that could be because PrusaSlicer does much thinner vectors on solid infill (which settings is resposible for this?)

Has anyone of you experienced the same or has a clue why there is such a huge difference between the two?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2019 03:38PM by Schild0r.
Attachments:
open | download - DualCore.ini (2.9 KB)
open | download - DualCore_PLA.ini (1.5 KB)
open | download - DualCore_PLA_0.2_x3.ini (3 KB)
open | download - Core_PLA_0.2_x3.fff (13.1 KB)
Re: Huge quality differences between Simplify3D and PrusaSlicer
July 27, 2019 03:58PM
Okay turns out I am an idiot who can't read the tooltips:

As I watched the slice previews I saw that every vector for PrusaSlicer is in fact thinner.
I set the default extrusion width to 0.48mm but every other extrusion width to something around 100% which is not calculated over the default extrusion width but somehow over layer height *facepalm*

I think this will solve my problem otherwise I will let you know
July 28, 2019 02:07AM
I don't know why they use % in Slic3r. It makes no sense to me. I always enter a specific value so I know exactly what I'm going to get at a glance, without having to translate a percentage to a numerical value.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
July 28, 2019 05:09AM
the_digital_dentist
I don't know why they use % in Slic3r. It makes no sense to me. I always enter a specific value so I know exactly what I'm going to get at a glance, without having to translate a percentage to a numerical value.

Using % would be fine for me if it would be calculated over the default extrusion width...
July 28, 2019 07:51AM
So what's the default extrusion width, and why is that value the default?

Several years ago, I allowed slic3r to set line widths automatically for a few prints just to see what it would do. It ended up setting infill line widths smaller than the diameter of the nozzle, which naturally resulted in bad prints. Since then I have never let slic3r set anything automatically. I always specify the line widths and speeds for every feature so that I know exactly what it will do. That problem I had a few years ago has probably been fixed long ago, but I don't see any reason to give control back to slic3r.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2019 07:51AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
July 29, 2019 10:44AM
I got sick of that in Slic3r, but if you don't use a % sign, it will use an absolute value.

The last one that I had left was the first layer thickness, which was set to 120%, but what I wanted was 0.5mm, and what I was getting was 0.24mm (120% of 0.2mm layer height.) once I fixed that, my first layers got so much better. smiling smiley Imagine that.

Anyway, you don't have to use % for extrusion width, which should make things better.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
July 29, 2019 02:24PM
the_digital_dentist
So what's the default extrusion width, and why is that value the default?

Good question. It looked like the only vectors that had the "default width" which I set to .48 were bridging ones. Anything else has distinct width settings
Apparently there is already a feature request to let the width settings (percentage) be calculated over nozzle diameter which would make sense if you want to use the same "print" preset for different extruders or printers (if we interpret print settings as quality settings)
This would fit much better in the three subdivisions of settings IMO so you could mix and match lets say a "fine details" preset with "whatever filament u r using" on "PrinterCoreXY_1"

SupraGuy
I got sick of that in Slic3r, but if you don't use a % sign, it will use an absolute value

probably the best solution for now but as I mentioned I really like the idea of mixing and matching the three different sets of settings with recursive parameters
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login