Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motors not functioning

Posted by TehCookie1 
Motors not functioning
August 01, 2019 04:30PM
Hi,

I have a ramps 1.4 for a diy 3d printer. so far I have everything wired and firmware set up, but I ran into a problem.
I couldn't move any axis. they just vibrated a little and stopped. I used the test code to calibrate the current going to the motor according to the wiki, but still the same result.
even adjusting the current to the maximum only caused the motor to heat up. I even got a new set of a4988 drivers, but still no difference. everything else worked nicely. I tried it with octoprint and pronterface.
I also tried reinstalling the firmware (Marlin), but still no change. the endstops were also working as intended. Homing the axis (still no movement) would only result in this error: Error: Printer halted. kill() called
Re: Motors not functioning
August 01, 2019 05:35PM
TehCookie1
Hi,

I have a ramps 1.4 for a diy 3d printer. so far I have everything wired and firmware set up, but I ran into a problem.
I couldn't move any axis. they just vibrated a little and stopped. I used the test code to calibrate the current going to the motor according to the wiki, but still the same result.
even adjusting the current to the maximum only caused the motor to heat up. I even got a new set of a4988 drivers, but still no difference. everything else worked nicely. I tried it with octoprint and pronterface.
I also tried reinstalling the firmware (Marlin), but still no change. the endstops were also working as intended. Homing the axis (still no movement) would only result in this error: Error: Printer halted. kill() called

You need to Google your problem. It is really common.
Your stepper wiring is wrong.
Use an ohm meter (DVM) to find the two windings of each stepper. Note those two pairs of wires, if all your steppers are the same, the wire pairs will usually all be the same.

Look at your RAMPS board and find the winding pair labels. Swap your wires around until you have your pairs assigned to the connector pairs, usually they are (A1, A2), (B1, B2).

At this point be careful. The motors may run backwards. If a stepper runs backwards you can change the direction in the configuration.h file or you can swap ONE set of windings. Either of these will reverse the order, don't do both.

Have fun,
DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
August 01, 2019 06:03PM
I confirmed the wiring was correct by running the test code. I suspect that there is something wring with the software side.
August 01, 2019 06:57PM
In some instances when you flash Firmware onto your controller board, if you do not preform a
M502 - Factory Reset ("Reset all configurable settings to their factory defaults.")
and then a
M500 - Save Settings ("Save all configurable settings to EEPROM.")

There is a possibility the the settings have not been excepted and the old settings are still in memory.

If you do this and to problem still exists then upload your configuration.h, configuration_adv.h file to a Share service like Google Drive, post a Link here and we will take a look see if all is in order.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
August 01, 2019 11:00PM
TehCookie1
I confirmed the wiring was correct by running the test code. I suspect that there is something wring with the software side.

Then why did you say your motors just vibrated and didn't move any axis?

Can you give us a detailed account of what your printer is doing and what you expect it to be doing?

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
August 02, 2019 10:41AM
The motors worked fine for the test code. it was when i uploaded the firmware and used pronterface to test it when it didn't work.
August 02, 2019 11:12AM
I would guess that you didn't install the 3 micro stepping jumpers under each stepper driver module

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2019 11:15AM by Dust.
August 02, 2019 11:34AM
Here is the link to the Marlin firmware that is currently installed: [drive.google.com]
I only made some minor changes to the configuration.

The m502 command worked, but running the m500 resulted in this error:

>>> m502
SENDING:M502
echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded
>>> m500
SENDING:M500
Error:EEPROM disabled
[ERROR] Error:EEPROM disabled

no change after running those commands.

Other info:
I'm using a computer PSU for the power supply.
I have a heated bed.
I'm using full step.

Thank you all for your quick response.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2019 11:35AM by TehCookie1.
August 02, 2019 11:47AM
running in full step is not a good idea... you get loud and very jerky movement.

but if you do

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 80, 80, 4000, 500 }
these are all for 1/16th you need to divide all by 16

and you have your eeprom disabled... enable it to use M500
#define EEPROM_SETTINGS

NB when you enable eeprom, the first time you save with a M500 from then on eeprom takes precedence over firmware settings. So updating your Configuration.h for most things will be ignored.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2019 11:51AM by Dust.
August 02, 2019 12:58PM
Woo Hoo!!!smiling bouncing smiley
I finally got some movement. I wanted to try microstepping, but I lost all of my jumpers.
Thanks to all of you who responded.thumbs up
August 02, 2019 07:24PM
Glad to help!

Find and install those jumpers.

Are you using Marlin 1.1.9 or Marlin 1.1.9BF

It could also help us if we knew what 3D Printer you were building.

since we do not here is a Prusa Calculator that may hep
[blog.prusaprinters.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2019 08:54PM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login