Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hotend not heating up

Posted by adrian_rg 
Hotend not heating up
August 05, 2019 02:47PM
The other day I was testing the extruder wiring. I pre-heated the extruder using Repetier-Host and the tempertature raised, but very slowly (to reach 190ºC it lasted between 3 and 5 min) and I started to suspect something was wrong.

Today I wanted to calibrate the extruder and when I pre-heated it, the tempreture did't raise (Repetier showed a oscilation between 20-21ºC, so the thermistor seems fine). Then I checked carefully if the metal block was heating, and it didn't get warmer.

Do you think it can be a problem of the ceramic cartridge?. Hotend fan is running fine and the led in RAMPS turns on.

This is the extruder (Titan Aero 12V version): www.aliexpress.com/item/32815903993.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2e4f4c4db6W5gL

The power supply is 30A 360W
Re: Hotend not heating up
August 06, 2019 02:27PM
adrian_rg
The other day I was testing the extruder wiring. I pre-heated the extruder using Repetier-Host and the tempertature raised, but very slowly (to reach 190ºC it lasted between 3 and 5 min) and I started to suspect something was wrong.

Today I wanted to calibrate the extruder and when I pre-heated it, the tempreture did't raise (Repetier showed a oscilation between 20-21ºC, so the thermistor seems fine). Then I checked carefully if the metal block was heating, and it didn't get warmer.

Do you think it can be a problem of the ceramic cartridge?. Hotend fan is running fine and the led in RAMPS turns on.

This is the extruder (Titan Aero 12V version): www.aliexpress.com/item/32815903993.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2e4f4c4db6W5gL

The power supply is 30A 360W

Heater cartridges fail - I've lost two in two years.
Check to see that you are getting power to the heater - Your DVM should measure 12V (more or less) at the heater terminals. If you are getting something between 10-12 V there then either your wires have failed or the heater cartridge has. Check for broken wire connections that you can fix, if you can't fix a broken wire or you don't find one, replace the heater. They are inexpensive. You will want to re-run your PID tune on the new heater.

If you aren't getting some kind of voltage at your heater terminals on the board then your controller's switch transistor has failed. What you do in this case depends upon your troubleshooting and soldering skills and equipment.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login