Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

need help for choosing my board

Posted by arisoy 
need help for choosing my board
August 17, 2019 08:05PM
Hi guys,

I’m going to make my own 3d printer and i’ll need some help to choose the board. Hope guys you can help me.

Here is it what i want to do :
- cartesian printer
- z axis with two separate motors for autoleveling and z axis adjustement while printing
- z will be the bed (the bed will go up and down not the nozzles)
- 2 nozzles. One will stay left while the other is printing, and vice versa
- direct extrusion on each nozzles
- heated bed 220v (maybe not directly on the board but with a SSR relay)
- screen for controling the printer
- For the firmware i don’t made my choice yet. Maybe the board will made it for me
- 32 bits board

Thanks for your help
Re: need help for choosing my board
August 18, 2019 04:58AM
A RADDS with Marlin 2.0 will do the job, it did for my dual X printer for a year until i damaged it. I'm currently trying a Bigtree SKR Pro 1.1 as a replacement but have some firmware problems.
Go for 24V for the printer, you don't even need the 220V heatbed then. I have a 220V in my old printer and 24V in all my newer ones. 24V is much preferable due to safety considerations.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
August 18, 2019 06:42AM
Get a Duet board with a Panel Due touchscreen.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
August 18, 2019 06:55AM
The Duet has only 5 stepper drivers so you need to purchase a duex extension from the beginning.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
August 18, 2019 09:08AM
You don't need two drivers for the Z axis. Use one motor and a belt to keep the Z axis screws in sync and you probably won't need autoleveling at all because it won't get unlevel. I know, it doesn't make for an exciting youtube video, but it does make a more reliable printer that "just works". You can still use mesh compensation for an unflat bed if you absolutely have to put sensors on the extruder carriages.

The third generation Duet boards are going into initial production now, they have 6 drivers with off-chip MOSFETs that can handle a LOT of current.

August 18, 2019 10:39AM
I interpreted the two nozzle setup as dual x, which would require 6 drivers.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
August 18, 2019 01:57PM
No one does dual X anymore, haven't you heard about tool changing? Woohoo! Now you can print multicolor tugboats!

August 18, 2019 02:48PM
Duet and Panel Due. I have 2 printers and 1 cnc mill using this set up. I'm a coding/firmware retard. If I can make all this work, and work well that's saying a lot. Strong support system as well
VDX
August 18, 2019 04:13PM
... I'm mostly using RADDS or our own variant ... got a Duet2Ethernet recently, but no time yet, to get it running eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 18, 2019 06:44PM
That configuration requires 7 stepper drivers: two for X (one for each carriage), one for Y, two for Z because you want independent Z motors for true bed levelling, and two extruders. That limits your choice. The options based on Duet electronics are:

1. Duet WiFi or Duet Ethernet + DueX2 expansion board.

2. A lower cost option (still with built-in web interface) is the Duet Maestro + 2-driver daughter board. The Duet Maestro has TMC2224 stepper drivers, which are the same as TMC2208, so they work best with 24V power and stepper motors with rated current in the 1.0 to 1.6A range.

[duet3d.dozuki.com]
[duet3d.dozuki.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2019 06:47PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 19, 2019 03:38PM
Hello everyone and thanks for your answers and comments!

After some searchs and reads i think i'll choose the duet wifi + expansion board.

I have another question. If i want to start my printer with only one extruder, I'll need 1 stepper for x axis, 1 for y axis, 2 for z axis and 1 for extruder.

With that configuration is it possible to use the second extruder driver (E1) as second Z axis?

If yes it means that i don't need the expansion board for starting. Am i right?

Another question. Do someone know when the duet 3 (third generation) board will be available?
August 19, 2019 03:54PM
arisoy
After some searchs and reads i think i'll choose the duet wifi + expansion board.

I have another question. If i want to start my printer with only one extruder, I'll need 1 stepper for x axis, 1 for y axis, 2 for z axis and 1 for extruder.

With that configuration is it possible to use the second extruder driver (E1) as second Z axis?

If yes it means that i don't need the expansion board for starting. Am i right?

Yes, you are right.

Another question. Do someone know when the duet 3 (third generation) board will be available?

It's available to pre-order now, see [forum.duet3d.com]. The first ones are scheduled to arrive for extended testing this week. We've already made two prototype versions of both the Duet 3 main board and expansion board, so we're not expecting any nasty surprises.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login