Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I can't get my extruder motor move

Posted by Keshan 
I can't get my extruder motor move
August 26, 2019 10:29PM
I am using SKR V1.3 with 4 TMC2208 in UART,
X, Y, Z all work well and home correctly, when I was trying to do extrusion calibration tonight, I found that my E motor doesn't move at all.

I disabled/comment out the cold extrusion prevention.

steps I've tried so far to narrow down the problem:

swap the E TMC2208 to Z and Z works fine.

swap the E motor to Z and when I home Z, the E motor turns

use a spare motor on Z and E, it turns on Z but not E
so I think I can eliminate the problem with my driver and motor

I turned off LA in firmware

STEALTHCHOP_E is disabled (because LA was on, this one I just left it disabled)

I adjust the voltage both by using M906 and on 2208 up to 1.3v
now I don't know what I can try to get the motor to work.

when I click extrude/retract the motor is engaged and when the voltage is at 1.3v, I can't turn it by hand, but it just won't turn.

anything I am missing in config? thanks
Re: I can't get my extruder motor move
August 27, 2019 11:27AM
Your wiring to the E motor?

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
August 27, 2019 12:11PM
I am not sure if I fully understand your question, my wires are red-blue-green-black from left to right just like my other 3 motors.
August 28, 2019 05:34PM
Keshan
I am not sure if I fully understand your question, my wires are red-blue-green-black from left to right just like my other 3 motors.
Are you sure? Is the cable to the extruder stepper broken in some way?
The silliest, and most obvious things can be the problem and we don't see it because of our assumptions.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
August 28, 2019 09:15PM
dlc60
Keshan
Are you sure? Is the cable to the extruder stepper broken in some way?
The silliest, and most obvious things can be the problem and we don't see it because of our assumptions.

DLC

How True!

Have you tested to see if the extruder is turning but in the reverse direction. I had this problem and it took me forever to determine that only needed to reverse the extruder direction

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
August 30, 2019 08:31PM
I put the extruder motor to other positions, XYZ, all work fine, so that I can rule out the possible damage of the particular motor
and no it won't move on both direction if I put it back on E0, I saw some people in facebook group had the same problem, an LV8729 or older Marlin solved the problem.
unfortunately old Marlin didn't help in my case, I ordered some LV8729 see if it will work.
September 03, 2019 01:27PM
Try enabling SQUARE_WAVE_STEPPING. LA can cause the default stepper pulses for the extruder to become too short for the TMC drivers to handle. SQUARE_WAVE_STEPPING solves the problem.

If that doesn't work, you can also try increasing MINIMUM_STEPPER_PULSE to 2.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login