Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Are delta printers still relavent

Posted by veryevil 
Are delta printers still relavent
August 30, 2019 08:24AM
Hi, not trying to cause a flame war or anything but I'm looking at getting a new printer and I love the idea of a delta but very few companies offer them. Nearly all of them make core xy or similar.

Is there some reason I don't know of why the seem to have limited availability. I don't want to go that route if they have lost popularity.

The speed of a delta interests me greatly but I can only really find anycubic kossel and preditor and not a lot of others in the lower price bracket.

Cheers
Re: Are delta printers still relavent
August 30, 2019 10:11AM
A Delta is more demanding regarding build, parts ... It works or doesn't !

Any idiot can put together ("design" !) a Cartesian machine using cheap, crappy components yet produce something able to move a hot end and spit blobs of plastic in a not too random way.
This ensures the buyer a lot of fun and time spent in "improvements". All this for a few bucks. It is a lot more fun than to try to assemble an Ikea furniture without the instructions sheet.

Deltas may also scare people suffering from arachnophobia ???

PS: There are other pertinent reasons of course why knowledgeable people choose one or another but I answer to the "lower price bracket" !
As for popularity, fast food is popular yet a health hazard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2019 10:17AM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
August 30, 2019 11:15AM
My current thought is an anycubic kossel upgrades with a duet wifi
August 31, 2019 08:42AM
Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2019 07:50AM by Holy1.
September 01, 2019 02:22AM
veryevil
My current thought is an anycubic kossel upgrades with a duet wifi
Pretty sure the developer of the Duet does much of the development work on a Delta so I doubt you would have much issue getting that combo dialed in
September 01, 2019 05:16PM
My go-to printer is the large Kossel described in my blog. It prints well and rarely gives any trouble. But I've recently taken delivery of an E3D tool changer, so my preference may change.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 09, 2019 11:15AM
I have 6 different 3D printers, 1 of them is a Delta I custom built. I find that the Delta printer has far less ringing then all my other printers. I believe this is the way the effector is able to move around the bed with little effort or resistance. My Delta printer is very tall, so I can print around 500mm tall parts, but only around 180mm wide.

Another advantage is not having the bed move at all. There is less chance for something to fall, and leveling the bed is less frequently required. I will admit, it took a lot of fine tuning to get the Delta printer working properly. A lot of calculating to get the bed dimensions correct.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login