Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Link to Cartesian Plans?

Posted by aamcle 
Link to Cartesian Plans?
September 06, 2019 05:01AM
Link to Cartesian Plans?

I've been looking around, I was considering rebuilding one of my CTC Duals with a 2020 frame and a new extruder but when I added up the costs I wasn't saving that much wrt a full build and I would have gained very little.

I have a board, controller and stepper drivers so a good portion of the printer is to hand.

I've looked around RepRap, OpenBuilds and Thingiverse but all too many seem to be old or incomplete and I for no very good reason prefer bearings over wheels. Am I right to do so?

My priorities are :-

1, a rigid structure !!!
2, print quality
3, cost so probably not a cube
3, size 300 x 300 ? More cost dept?
4, all metal hot end would be nice but I can add one later.

I can print PLA, PETg or ABS.

What can you recommend?

Thanks All.

Aamcle

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2019 05:08AM by aamcle.
Re: Link to Cartesian Plans?
September 06, 2019 09:19AM
Have you considered corexy? With a bed that size it's better to move it in Z instead of Y...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 06, 2019 11:26AM
My Cartesian has a bed that moves down.

So far the only well supported builds I have found are the Hypercube Evo and the Voron both are Core XY and both are very expensive, with the most expensive linear rails.

Good job but pricy..

Aamcle
September 06, 2019 02:11PM
aamcle
My Cartesian has a bed that moves down.

So far the only well supported builds I have found are the Hypercube Evo and the Voron both are Core XY and both are very expensive, with the most expensive linear rails.

Good job but pricy..

Aamcle

And be ready to spend even more than their initial cost as they are just so so. See the issues people are still having.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
September 06, 2019 04:28PM
Have you considered designing your own?

September 06, 2019 04:48PM
I have, the basic frame would not be difficult there are lots of examples and other than ensuring its rigid and square it's not complex.

Unfortunately my Fusion skills are poor so the various brackets and mounts would be difficult although at least I'd learn Fusion.

I find Fusion difficult to learn except when I'm trying "to do something" simply following the Utube Videos shuts my brain down quite quickly .

Atb. Aamcle
September 06, 2019 05:13PM
I don't think a 2020 t-slot frame is going to be the rigid structure you want for a printer with a 300x300 build area unless you put a rigid skin on it.

If Fusion360 is too much effort, look at other free CAD programs like DesignSpark Mechanical. I designed SoM and UMMD using DSM. DSM will do 99% of what you want/need to do and is easy to learn. Avoid Sketchup for designing parts to be 3D printed. It doesn't work well for that purpose.

September 07, 2019 07:33AM
It's not the effort it focus, if I decide I want to make a widget learning how isn't a problem. If I simply sit at my PC and follow along with the Fusion videos the focus just isn't there.

Aamcle
September 11, 2019 06:42AM
Have you seen my Bear Upgrade frame for Prusa printers? Could maybe be a start for you. I am for now based on Prusa printers but I have seen lots of other builds. Don't hesitate to fork my project and always happy to help if needed. Please note that I am working on version 2.1 at the moment (check the dev branch) but the frame is going to be the same, only the parts are changing.
[github.com]

You can download Fusion 360 sources here:
[github.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2019 06:43AM by gregsaun.

[github.com] - #BearUpgrade
September 11, 2019 09:16AM
gregsaun
Have you seen my Bear Upgrade frame for Prusa printers? Could maybe be a start for you. I am for now based on Prusa printers but I have seen lots of other builds. Don't hesitate to fork my project and always happy to help if needed. Please note that I am working on version 2.1 at the moment (check the dev branch) but the frame is going to be the same, only the parts are changing.
[github.com]

You can download Fusion 360 sources here:
[github.com]

If one choose to go the Al profile route, no point making a Prusa, better build a CoreXY or Makerbot like.

Al profiles won't eliminate the Prusa shortcomings.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
September 11, 2019 09:21AM
If he wants a non-moving bed in XY then yes not my frame. CoreXY is one of the answer but that also comes with long belt with lots of pulleys/idlers/shafts that are bending or flexing.

[github.com] - #BearUpgrade
September 11, 2019 10:26AM
Bending and flexing are not characteristics of corexy, they are characteristics of poor design and construction. You can have poor design and construction with any printer architecture.

September 16, 2019 08:19PM
You don't really need a rigid structure if you are willing to turn your printer upside-down:

UDIO Printer

XY Drive

This printer, which uses a modified H-bot configuration, has been my go-to printer for the last 2 years. It's been incredibly reliable. Unfortunately, I've been lazy about publishing any complete plans, but I'd be more than happy to share whatever details I've got with anyone interested in making their own. This is a real DIY design, though, which requires you to build your own right-angle extruder/hot-end.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login