Posted by Roberts_Clif 
3D Printed Home in Austin, Texas
September 15, 2019 04:32PM
Building Was 3D-Printed in 27 Hours, and It's Designed to Help the Homeless
[austin.curbed.com]

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
Re: 3D Printed Home in Austin, Texas
September 16, 2019 10:47AM
We have a few "problems" in the world these days. This could be a game changer, if it really works out.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
VDX
September 16, 2019 11:18AM
... add "floating" to the "3D-printed homes" -- this will adress much more problems with the actually drowning micro-nations (and look into my signature) cool smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 16, 2019 11:22AM
VDX
... add "floating" to the "3D-printed homes" -- this will adress much more problems with the actually drowning micro-nations (and look into my signature) cool smiley

That was the first thing that came to mind.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
September 16, 2019 12:05PM
dlc60
We have a few "problems" in the world these days. This could be a game changer, if it really works out.

DLC

I fail to see how a house partially built with concrete poured in layers from a nozzle guided by a computer could solve even a few of the world problem !

Besides, not that much is 3D printed and so far I haven't seen real advantages compared with other techniques.

"Help the homeless" is not an argument, on the contrary !

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
VDX
September 16, 2019 01:46PM
MKSA, have you read through the base description of my "floating islands made of garbage"-project, linked in my signature?

[reprap.org]

This could be done with "DIY-concrete" and with some means of 3D-printing (more assembling preformed/preprinted elements) in "slightly bigger" dimensions cool smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

September 16, 2019 02:26PM
VDX
MKSA, have you read through the base description of my "floating islands made of garbage"-project, linked in my signature?

[reprap.org]

This could be done with "DIY-concrete" and with some means of 3D-printing (more assembling preformed/preprinted elements) in "slightly bigger" dimensions cool smiley

Somewhat. It reminded me of the Aztec floating islands BTW.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
VDX
September 16, 2019 03:47PM
... the Aztec floating islands were made from straw and "limited" in size and payload by the size of the lakes and "lifetime of the material".

When building/3D-printing big floating "bricks" and start to assemble even bigger and thicker structures from them --- you can end with something resembling a small continent with enough place and bearing capacity to support nations cool smiley

Viktor
--------

September 16, 2019 06:22PM
012 to 032 in below video shows printing of this house
looks like a lot of labor around

[www.youtube.com]

27 hours to print
27 days to finish?

3D printed house cost around $10,000 to create (printed portion only)

[www.iconbuild.com]

confused smiley
September 23, 2019 02:36AM
VDX, you mention "lifetime of the material". Wouldn't a floating island eventually break apart and degrade? A lot of existing artificial islands suffer from this issue, combined with the fact that repair is very costly and difficult. I imagine a floating island would face these issues but on a more extreme scale. Is there a solution to this problem? That and I could be completely ignorant here, but wouldn't the islands have to be "compliant"? As in be able to bend with waves passing underneath. That and oceans aren't necessarily uniform on their surface, especially on a continental scale. There are sorts of peaks and valleys where the crust is thicker and thinner, and varying density of the earth's core means a non uniform gravitational pull which results in sort of valleys on the waters surface. Maybe conformal is a better word than compliant? Forgive me, I found the project very interesting when I first saw your post about it, but these sorts of issues seem pretty daunting regarding long term viability.
VDX
September 23, 2019 03:55AM
... yes - there would be some "degrading" over time.

My idea is to "convert" the plastic materials to mainly carbon by heating them in big autoclaves filled with inert gas ... and use it together with sand and other "inert" materials (and lignin as binder) for the builds.

If the "bricks" of the outer shell are mostly solid (intermixed with small cavities or air-filled glass-bulbs) and some ten meters in size, combined to "rafts" of some hundred meters in size and some ten meters high, with "joints" between the rafts for mechenical relaxation, this should be pretty massive and not susceptible to swell or mechanical stress.

"Repairing" of eroded sectors (or extending too) can be done with prefabbed parts or with fluid base-material (some sort of polymer concrete, assembled from coal, sand, fibers and lignin) ...

Viktor
--------

VDX
September 23, 2019 05:53AM
... think of "gigantic" Lego-bricks, assembled to even bigger structures -- then repairing or expanding is done by replacing or adding single "bricks" or complex assemblies ... or "pouring" polymer concrete into the final forms cool smiley

If you have "30m high" waves, then a 50m thick raft (with some millions tons of mass) with a wave-breaker at the perimeter to prevent the water swapping inside, hardly will notice the -15m / +15m oszillation of the water surface winking smiley

Viktor
--------

September 25, 2019 01:13AM
Ahh, I see now I think. A sort of modular design where the end-of-life sections can be individually replaced. I was imagining some large, monolithic island where the only way to restore/repair would be "patches", and there is only so many times you can patch something.
VDX
September 25, 2019 03:46AM
... this "patches" too could be a methode to "grow" the rafts/islands winking smiley

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login