Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E3D V6 with restricted Airflow

Posted by KASA 
E3D V6 with restricted Airflow
September 24, 2019 10:02AM
I am currently trying to modify my printer to use an E3D V6 Hotend but I have to work with limited space.
My current mounting idea leaves only a few millimeters of clearance behind the air outlet behind the heatsink before the Extruder carriage.
Here’s an Image:

[m.imgur.com]
Is this enough to ensure enough cooling of the heatsink?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2019 10:04AM by KASA.
Re: E3D V6 with restricted Airflow
September 24, 2019 03:09PM
KASA
I am currently trying to modify my printer to use an E3D V6 Hotend but I have to work with limited space.
My current mounting idea leaves only a few millimeters of clearance behind the air outlet behind the heatsink before the Extruder carriage.
Here’s an Image:

[m.imgur.com]

I do not think so. I have had problems with my E3Dv6 when I had at least 5mm open behind it. Heat creep caused jams. I rotated my fan 90 degrees around to the side where I had over 25mm of open space and that worked fine. It looks like you have that "rotation" option available to you too.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
September 24, 2019 05:57PM
That’s bad news, I’m pretty sure I can’t rotate the fan enough to have more space behind.
The fan duct can’t be rotated much because it doesn’t fit in the space between the Heatsink and the carriage...
Maybe I will have to increase distance which will make the conversion even more complicated or I will try to build a custom fan duct with a blower fan so I can have the fan in front and have the duct redirect it to come in from the side.
I don’t think I’m ready for watercooling it yet.
Thanks for helping me!
September 24, 2019 06:12PM
might blow back onto hotend, try rotate it 90 degrees.
September 24, 2019 09:22PM
KASA
Here’s an Image:

[m.imgur.com]

What types of plastics will you be printing with?
September 25, 2019 11:05AM
Mainly PLA and some ABS, but I would like to be able to print the others as well
September 25, 2019 04:16PM
It would be much easier to design and print a different duct that would allow a larger fan as well as direct air flow from the side.

Since designs for the larger fans already exist on Thingiverse, it should be a relatively simple matter to modify one of those for the tight space, so long as there's room on the side of the gantry when the printer is at X maximum or minimum.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
September 26, 2019 10:07AM
SupraGuy
It would be much easier to design and print a different duct that would allow a larger fan as well as direct air flow from the side.

Since designs for the larger fans already exist on Thingiverse, it should be a relatively simple matter to modify one of those for the tight space, so long as there's room on the side of the gantry when the printer is at X maximum or minimum.

Yes, I think that’s the way I will try to do it next. Thanks everyone!
October 14, 2019 03:34PM
Im currently printing with my setup and I already printed something which took around 30 minutes, and the Heatsink is staying cool.
I only angled the fan about 20° to the left, but I dont think that helps much.

Im only printing PLA at 200°C so Im not sure what will happen if i try it with 300°C or so, but currently its working.
If you are in a similar situtation like me, I suggest you just try it yourself.
Always try to watch it though so you notice if something goes wrong for the first few prints.
I will probably still upgrade it with a better fan setup but until I get the fan, I will print with the stock fan and the limited Airflow setup.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2019 03:39PM by KASA.
October 16, 2019 11:02AM
Honestly, I'm not a 100% sure, but can it be that the blue plastic piece can be mounted upside down? Because that is what's causing the issue of it not being able to rotate a 90º. I turned the blue plastic part around and that way I could mount it perfectly 90º. I know it's meant to be on like this, but it works fine when it's upside down and then you have the space!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2019 11:03AM by Ohmarinus.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
October 16, 2019 03:43PM
Ohmarinus
Honestly, I'm not a 100% sure, but can it be that the blue plastic piece can be mounted upside down? Because that is what's causing the issue of it not being able to rotate a 90º. I turned the blue plastic part around and that way I could mount it perfectly 90º. I know it's meant to be on like this, but it works fine when it's upside down and then you have the space!

That is a good point, but possibly for another reason. I found that if I put the blue-plastic-housing on upside down then it cools the top of the heat sink more than that bottom. Which could be the problem here... When you put it on, look at where it rests, there is a clear bias top vs. bottom with that shroud.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
October 16, 2019 03:45PM
No, the fan holder is installed correctly. Even if it isn’t, that’s not what is preventing me from turning it 90 degrees. The problem is that the sides of the blue part don’t fit in the slit between heatsink and carriage. If you want, I can take a better picture to demonstrate the problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login