Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cad for printing...?? Moving On?

Posted by aamcle 
Cad for printing...?? Moving On?
October 10, 2019 07:28AM
I've been using Fusion 360, Autodesk have already upset me with a major change to the interface I'm new and was just getting use to the old desktop and now they are changing the licensing as well.

I'm familiar with FreeCad, OpenScad (not for me...) and the names of a few others, I've put some time into Fusion and it seems I may loose out as Autodesk may look for too many $ from me or reduce the functionality of the product.

I don't want to go to the effort of learning a package only to loose it for whatever reason. I don't need a Blender type modelling program at the moment.

FreeCad looks like the best supported and most complete alternative, but is it my best choice?

Thanks All.

AAmcle
Re: Cad for printing...?? Moving On?
October 10, 2019 08:14AM
AFAIK, Fusion360 is still free, but if you must change, look into OnShape- similar to solidworks.
You can get a solidworks license for free if you join the EAA for $40 per year dues.
If you need easy to use but not as powerful as Fusion360, look at DesignSpark Mechanical.
Whatever you do, stay the hell away from SketchUp. It's good for a lot of things, but designing for 3D printing isn't one of them.

Son of MegaMax 3D printer: [www.instructables.com]
Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 10, 2019 08:20AM
I renewed 360 a month ago so it's not urgent but.. I don't want to get so locked in that I can be ransomed.

Thanks.
October 10, 2019 06:31PM
+1 for OnShape... free for personal use, but your designs are publicly viewable/copyable. That seems to me to be a very reasonable trade-off, and I've used it a lot.
October 11, 2019 01:08AM
Ironcad...try the free trial then buy the student version(or even get it for free).
[www.ironcad.com]

[www.tecnetinc.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2019 09:07PM by MechaBits.

[mechabits.co.uk]
October 13, 2019 03:14PM
its not advanced by any means, it does the basics its called open scad.
it is also a command driven tool. the custom setups such as curves and chamfers and bevels need to be done manually. as coded in with for loops or shapes in boolean operations
fusion360 does have a lot of time saving features, however i worry that they will lock it down to the point where we all will eventually need to pay. for me they have reduced functionality on my free renewal,
i don't know what they took away yet however... adobe does seem to change what it does every few years,
but openscad always will be free. and it does not need the cloud.

https://www.openscad.org/]openscad web site openscad.org

i like that solid works is free for eaa members. thanks for that bit of info from comments above.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2019 03:20PM by jamesdanielv.
October 13, 2019 05:05PM
Any free tool isn't guaranteed to be free forever. When you commit time and effort to one CAD program, there's always the risk that it will stop being free, the company will go out of business, or that some other program will become better than the one you chose. Fortunately, many of the concepts are similar from one program to another with changes mainly in the UI (except Open SCAD- that one is pretty unique). Once you've learned to use a couple CAD programs, the skills transfer to others pretty easily.

Son of MegaMax 3D printer: [www.instructables.com]
Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 14, 2019 03:08AM
The UI change takes about 15 minutes to get used to. There's even a doc that tells you where everything has been moved to. What makes you think the licensing has changed?
October 14, 2019 03:53AM
Solvespace is another open source option. It's very minimal and lightweight but can do a lot. I believe it's still missing a chamfer/fillet option though which I'm sure is a deal breaker for many. I found it easier to use than FreeCAD from both a computer requirements and UI point of view, but coming from openscad the lack of variables for constraints and chamfer tool leaves me wanting more.
October 17, 2019 08:24AM
you could just watch some ironcad video's if you cant be arsed downloading, though why anyone wouldnt bother to try to get a 5k package for free is beyond me. Ironcad Innovate is almost identical to Full Ironcad, which might be a little more suited, less clutter of features to bamboozle, composer a handy free app too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2019 05:11AM by MechaBits.

[mechabits.co.uk]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login