Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

how long does it take your printer heated bed to heat up?

Posted by jamesdanielv 
how long does it take your printer heated bed to heat up?
October 13, 2019 04:25PM
my Rostock max is my fastest heat-up bed machine. it gets to 70deg c in about 5min.
i was told that some machines were a lot faster at bed heat-up to temp. i find it hard to believe. i was wondering what the average bed heat up is for various machines.

what i was curious about times for other machines in the last few years. just checking if 5min is about average.

if people can post type of machine and model and about how many minutes it takes to heat up. i'll post results to a reprap page about bed heatup times if there are more than 10 responses. i could not find one already.
plate thickness contributes to time. i know theoretical heat up times, but theory is only theory.

this was a good idea to reference theory of heated beds jscalc.io from a comment below. but theory is only theory. i hope to get several samples to compare. from standard machines to big ones, whoever provides estimate times it will be much appreciated.

edit:
can you mention the machine model custom or brand name and heated bed size. this way i can categorize them, thanks.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2019 04:51AM by jamesdanielv.
Re: how long does it take your printer heated bed to heat up?
October 13, 2019 04:39PM
This calculator does a pretty accurate job of calculating the heat up time based on size of the bed and power applied: [jscalc.io]

My 300x300x8 mm cast aluminum bed with a 750W heater heats to 100C in about 4.5 minutes.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 14, 2019 03:30PM
Sorry, I can't tell you the exact time, but I was able to significantly improve it by insulating the bed.

Example:
ASA printing requires 110C on the bed.
Initially I had hard time reaching it, because Marlin would time out waiting on temperature advancement.
Then I calibrated bed PID and increased Marling per/degree waiting threshold.
I was able to reach the temperature, but it took forever.
Bed insulation reduced bed heating time by approximately half.

One other suggestion is to keep the printer away from drifting air flows like those created by opened doors or windows.
Good ambient temperature helps too.

HW:
I use 24 volt, 350 watt PSU and 300x200 heated bed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2019 03:33PM by uticatechclub.
October 14, 2019 03:35PM
It is under 3 minutes after bed insulation
October 14, 2019 03:44PM
I also get 2.5 minutes with an insulated bed
October 16, 2019 03:48PM
My 300mm square x 5mm thick aluminum plate with a 150W, 12V silicone heater taped to it with that 3M high-temperature double-sticky tape, backed by aluminum foil and cardboard insulated will heat to 75C in about 6 minutes. I am the slow poke here. smiling smiley

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
October 17, 2019 06:33AM
My 330x330x6mm tooling plate with 300x300mm silicone 750W AC heater pad takes about 3-4 minutes to get from 20 degrees up to 105*C. I sometimes use fans to blow over the heated bed to heat the enclosure up a bit, so that takes slightly longer. There's no insulation under the silicone pad, so it may get faster if I do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2019 06:34AM by imqqmi.

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
October 17, 2019 06:50AM
Insulating the underside of the bed speeds heat-up time and slows cool down time.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 17, 2019 09:03AM
My Hictop 3DP12 24v heat-up bed machine. it gets to 96C in about 4.5 min.
My Hictop 3DP11 12v heat-up bed machine. it gets to 96C in about 6 min.

May try to add some insulation to speed up the heat times.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
October 18, 2019 02:42PM
My Kossel XL variant (see link in my signature) takes 2 minutes to heat to 80C. It uses a 5mm x 330mm diameter aluminium bed plate with a 350W silicone heater.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 25, 2019 04:22AM
Custom Cartesian Printer, 200x200, 110v 500w silicone heater with thin fiberglass/foil insulation stuck to borosilicate glass bed.
30-160c in just under 2 minutes

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2019 04:24AM by Bill Clark.
Attachments:
open | download - time to temp2.jpg (359.8 KB)
October 26, 2019 06:03PM
thanks for the info so far. i hope to get enough to show a list or a chart. don't be scared, i'm just looking for a range. some people have really fast heaters, but generally it is 12v or 24v.
some people have quicker heat up times using insulation. this is also good info. thanks for those who have contributed times and heater setups and printer models so far.
November 21, 2019 04:54PM
I have a Creality 235x235 24v bed and it takes about 2.5 min to get to 70c. Now that being said, I still can't use the PID to run the bed. When I enable the PID heat up times jump to ~25min. This is even after I run the tuning.
November 24, 2019 07:58PM
230x230 3mm aluminum plate with glass and 1mm PEI.
200 watt silicone heater @24v (cheapo reprap one from gulfcoast robotics).
3/4" thick blanket of spun ceramic fiber under-bed insulation.

6 minutes flat from 22-110C, which is just enough time to make an espresso for the show. grinning smiley
November 26, 2019 03:59AM
800x500 mm aluminiun plate (10mm thickness) + 1mm GekoFeet.
900W silicone rubber heater.

30 minutes from 15 °C to 80 °C.

Understanding the universe since the last century.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login