Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking for an open source belt printer

Posted by Archiclem 
Looking for an open source belt printer
October 19, 2019 01:59PM
Hi everyone !

So I was wondering if there is a good open source belt printer around…

I was looking for a rather simple design, but with aluminum extrusion and linear rail ?
a bit like what the kossel did to delta printer…

I’ve come across the piper infinity [www.thingiverse.com] which looks interesting but a bit cheap…

The printerbelt from brook drum looks very interesting but rather complex to build (it seems to me that laser cut metal is required+ no linear rails)…
[www.brookdrumm.com]

Maybe the search didn’t work for me, but it doesn’t seem to me that there are a lot of talk about such kind of printer on the forum ?
Re: Looking for an open source belt printer
October 19, 2019 06:54PM
Archiclem
I’ve come across the piper infinity [www.thingiverse.com] which looks interesting but a bit cheap…
This is insulting... Just order custom pipes in gold or platinum or at least titanium and it won't be cheap.
October 20, 2019 06:12AM
I’m sorry, it's not what I meant… I just don’t want to use 3D printed part for the structure of the machine… I remember my restock mini printer, which was too flimsy…

So I’m kind of reluctant to use such configuration… (+I really don’t like rods for the linear axis…)

I just want a bit more expensive and reliable machine. I totally get why you made such an inexpensive 3D printer, and I think it’s great if you want to start the 3d printing… But I’ve been printing since 2012, and I want something strong and reliable…

But hey, if I don’t find anything, I think I will start to make my own design, so you will be able to say it’s much too expensive…

AND. P.S. I am very impressed that you suceed to create such a printer...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2019 06:13AM by Archiclem.
October 20, 2019 01:05PM
You have only one option then but it is not open-sourced - Black Belt. White Knight, Power Belt, Zechy's printers do use printed parts.
October 20, 2019 01:44PM
There is nothing wrong with using printed parts in a 3D printer if they are used appropriately. The genuine Prusa i3 Mk3 uses lots of them.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 20, 2019 01:55PM
dc42
There is nothing wrong with using printed parts in a 3D printer if they are used appropriately. The genuine Prusa i3 Mk3 uses lots of them.

I completely agree with you, but in the case of the piper3d, there is no bracing of the printer (unlike the prusa which rely on a waterjet powder coated frame...) So the printed part are having a much more important structural role... I don't say it cannot work, I just say it's less sturdy.

Plus I have 4 linears rails at home that serve no purpose other than collecting dust... And a bunch of aluminium extrusions... So so I want to put them to good use...

I think I'm going to go for a printrbelt homemade style printer... (I like the overall simplicity of a "cantilever" design especially if it relies on linear rails...).
October 21, 2019 02:04AM
Archiclem
I completely agree with you, but in the case of the piper3d, there is no bracing of the printer (unlike the prusa which rely on a waterjet powder coated frame...) So the printed part are having a much more important structural role... I don't say it cannot work, I just say it's less sturdy.
"powder coated frame" is fixing structure in X direction. What about Y direction?
We may have a lot of assumptions and do not trust our eyes. Check this build of Piper 2 with flimsy plywood enclosure, but with the same frame based on 1/2 inch conduit and printed parts Rob's Piper 2. it has about 700+x900+x1000 print volume and 13 tools (9 working at the ERRF)... It was carried on the side (to fit doors) from Rob's house to the van, driven 250 miles and 4 people carried it to the table at ERRF and than it went back you may hardly believe that it would survive but it did and was printing at the show.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login