Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question for material Gurus

Posted by khannon3 
Question for material Gurus
October 24, 2019 08:08AM
Hi guys,

In looking to recreate some roller wheels (for plastic on smooth painted metal contact) which were injection molded I'm Delrin (POM/Acatel). From the research I've done, Delrin isn't widely available or easy to print. Is anyone aware of a suitable 3D printing friendly material?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2019 08:50AM by khannon3.
Re: Question for material Gurus
October 24, 2019 09:55AM
I would try the hardest TPU you can get. It is very wear resistant and layer adhesion is very good.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
VDX
October 24, 2019 12:36PM
... rollers are best made with a lathe (maybe a 3D-printed one winking smiley ) ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 25, 2019 04:35AM
Nylon
October 25, 2019 06:11AM
Thanks for all of the answers guys. I have been looking closely at some filled nylons, as the particular application will be under a reasonably heavy load. Any suggestions on suitable filled nylon brands. From my research carbon filled nylon materials have a negatively affected friction coefficient. Turning the parts may also be an option. They will need to be produced in batches of 50 so this may be a feasible, but manufacturing on demand is a huge advantage and we have no access to turning in house so they would have to be pre-ordered.

Thanks,
Kevin
October 25, 2019 12:10PM
I would not use filled nylons. The modulus may go up but impact resistance suffers. Taulman Alloy 910 is my go to. Prints very well. You can beat it with a hammer and it just laughs.
October 28, 2019 01:34PM
As soon as you say heavy load, you are no longer in the realm of 3D printed parts.

I'm going to go with VDX here and say that you're better off with a lathe.

Get a chunk of nylon or other material, drill a hole in it and use a nut and bolt appropriate to the axle size. Put it in a drill chuck, and shave it to size. You'll end up with a far superior result.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login