Building the largest 3d printer I think cool smiley
November 08, 2019 02:50AM
Hi Guys,

I want to start a project with a custom 3d printer and i have few questions if you allow me smiling smiley

Let say i want to build a large 3d printer with 800*800*500mm hotbed:

1- Do I need thick wires? like 6m?
2- If i didnt find a hot bed with 800mm is it possible to add multi hotbed like 200*200 (x16) and i linked them together?
3- What is the best power supply to run the printer without any risk?
4- i built the frame and everything but now i need the parts to assemble it.
5- Which codes i have to work in the arduino?
6- from your kind opinion: guess how much it will cost? remember that all the frame is 2020, 2040 aluminum profiles.

Finally i would like to thank you for this forum it helped alot and alot.

Thanks
VDX
Re: Building the largest 3d printer I think cool smiley
November 08, 2019 03:31AM
... you can use smaller heated beds in parallel and "average" them by an aluminium plate.

The "largest 3D-printers" mostly use concrete and are busy with printing buildings spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
November 08, 2019 08:22AM
Here's a calculator that will tell you how long it will take to heat the bed based on its construction and the power applied: [jscalc.io]

You can have a custom heater made to fit that size bed- Keenovo will do it for a reasonable upcharge over their off-the-shelf stuff.

Is this your first 3D printer design/build?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 08, 2019 06:07PM
Definitely go for a 24v setup or you'll be in an elderly home before the bed is heated up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2019 06:07PM by Ohmarinus.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
November 08, 2019 10:16PM
A bed that size will need line power.

November 09, 2019 12:51AM
the_digital_dentist
Here's a calculator that will tell you how long it will take to heat the bed based on its construction and the power applied: [jscalc.io]

You can have a custom heater made to fit that size bed- Keenovo will do it for a reasonable upcharge over their off-the-shelf stuff.

Is this your first 3D printer design/build?

Thanks dear much appreciated.

i contacted them and im waiting for their reply. and also the jscale . io calculated 7minutes but i dont know if its correct data i wrote or not xD below is the data you can check:

Power Input (W):
Length of Plate (mm):
Width of Plate (mm):
Thickness of Plate (mm):
Length of Heater (mm):
Width of Heater (mm):
Initial Temperature (C):
Ambient Temperature of Environment (C):
Final Temperature:
PLA (70 C)

And yes its my first build ever and fresh project >3

Much love..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2019 12:52AM by EzyMan.
November 09, 2019 12:53AM
Ohmarinus
Definitely go for a 24v setup or you'll be in an elderly home before the bed is heated up.

xD

Thanks man much appreciated.

Do you have suggested power supplies?
November 09, 2019 01:19AM
I found this Silicone heated bed is this what i want? also if yes what power supply i need to run the printer without any risk

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/220v-800-800mm-silicone-heating-bed_62057834550.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.6.37ef73181oMo21&s=p
November 09, 2019 01:42AM
EzyMan
Power Input (W):
Length of Plate (mm):
Width of Plate (mm):
For that size, you want a 1kW heater, not 0.1kW, unless you are fine on waiting 1 or 2 hours for print bed to heat to 55C.

In general (no offense) looks like you do not know what you are doing.
You may go either:
1. experience way - start with a smaller printer like 300x300,
2. or knowledge way and repeat somebody else well documented and supported open-source design.
November 09, 2019 02:25AM
piper3d
EzyMan
Power Input (W):
Length of Plate (mm):
Width of Plate (mm):
For that size, you want a 1kW heater, not 0.1kW, unless you are fine on waiting 1 or 2 hours for print bed to heat to 55C.

You may go either:
1. experience way - start with a smaller printer like 300x300,
2. or knowledge way and repeat somebody else well documented and supported open-source design.

Actually you are right and i didnt register in the forum for nothing, i registered in this forum to teach myself from MASTERS like you! i want you to guide me, nobody born a PROFESSOR.

I love and excited to design new things.

Thanks
November 09, 2019 04:01AM
[slash7.com]

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
November 09, 2019 04:15AM
MKSA
[slash7.com]

hmm
November 09, 2019 09:39AM
So many questions...
Probably the most important question is: How big is your budget for this printer?
Have you considered how much a 800x800x500 print will cost to make, how long it will take, and how much failures will cost? Filament costs about $20/kg.
Have you considered that an 800x800 mm printer won't fit through a standard doorway?
What do you intend to print that requires such a large printer?
What materials do you intend to print?
What controller do you intend to use?
What type of mechanism do you intend to use?
How will you keep an 800x800x3mm bed "plate" flat enough to print on?
What sort of tools do you have access to?
Do you have any CAD experience? If not, start now so you can design this beast and prevent a lot of costly mistakes.

There are commercial printers that size (even larger). Have you studied any of their designs to see how they work and what they are made of? Do any of them use 2020 t-slot?

I suggest that before you start throwing money at this project you flesh out the entire design. It is a costly mistake to start buying stuff and then realize later that you should have bought something else. If you buy stuff too soon, it forces your decisions later to accommodate the early mistakes you made. Buying stuff comes at the middle of the project, not the start.

If you registered on this forum to learn all this stuff, I suggest that you do some reading of the old posts, especially the many threads started by others who come thinking their first, gigantic printer design was going to set the world on fire. Once they learn about all the problems, they (the people, not the problems) usually go away. Take a look at some of the successes, too. Then start thinking about what you want and can do.

A 100W heater is not going to be nearly enough.

It's great that you want to design and build your own printer, but I suggest that you start a lot smaller, get some experience with a printer you are more likely to be successful with, learn what the problems are and then scale up reusing the quality parts you invested in for the smaller machine. Don't buy the cheapest crap you can find if you want the stuff to work, last, and be reusable.

November 10, 2019 08:05PM
See: [hackaday.com]

November 13, 2019 05:43AM
November 13, 2019 07:02AM
I wouldn't recommend building a printer that size with a bed moving in the Y axis. That's a lot to weight to throw back and forth at print speed.

November 13, 2019 08:14AM
I did notice he hadnt printed anything smiling smiley and wasted the heater pad, how do think that glass would hold up with that pad?
December 03, 2019 11:15AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks to all of you for your replies.

Actually i found out the 800x800 it will cost me alot and im afraid only from the electricity btw xD.
-----------------

Now i reduce the heat bed to 400*400 but i dont know how to modify the configuration in arduino.

i have built the frame and everything and i bought:
1- Arduino mega 2560.
2- RAMPS 1.14

Is anyone can help me with the coding even help or i can pay its ok <3

Thank to all.

Regards,
June 19, 2020 05:11AM
If I had seen your comment a few years ago, how lucky it was. I built my 1000*1600*450 printer. I have experienced all of what you said. At present, iterating for three rounds, I have given up wire, stepper motor to servo motor, and particle printing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login