Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DVD drive 3D Printer *Editconfused smileytepper solution for Teacup in post below PSU and amperage?

Posted by BanditSalandit 
Issue: Nema 17 Extruder motor hums and doesn't rotate normally( it hums and rotates slightly and returns back to position) when I have it test extrusion in Pronterface
I am not sure if it is my driver's potentiometer which makes the motor hum louder if I press on it or it is the steps per m in Teacup firmware.

I am using an Arduino UNO with the CNC shield and A4988 drivers with 1/16 microstepping. 19V 3.42A Laptop PSU

I also don't know how to measure the potentiometer exactly( I know I need to check the screw and either the GND or EN pin)

Please help me, I'm doing this project for school and uploading weekly updates for my class.Thank you for your time.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2019 08:21AM by BanditSalandit.
Re: DVD drive 3D Printer (Extruder motor doesn't move)
December 11, 2019 02:25AM
I would assume you're only using the Nema17 for the extruder? You can safely raise the power on the stepper driver while the motor should be turning to the point where it starts to turn IF you have correctly wired the stepper. On the other side 19v 3.42A seems like a bad choice for PSU both for the voltage and the Amperage. Please be safe and get a 12v.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
December 11, 2019 05:01AM
A first step is to remove all load from the motor. By unloading the filament or unmounting the motor from the extruder.

If the motor still shows jerky movements, wiring might be wrong. See the "trial and error" method here: [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

December 11, 2019 11:39AM
I have a 9v .5A power supply but it doesn't move the motor much compared to the 19v supply ( not sure if i am doing anything wrong before compared to now [used the 9v maybe a month ago before I switched to the 19v). The wiring is just the same as the connections that it already came with (default from manufacturer).
I already tested the motor with the adafruit motor shield v1 and it moved normally under microstepping with just the arduino's power from the the usb.
Yes, I am just using the NEMA 17 motor for the extruder. Later today, I will test the wiring pairs and update you on that.

Also how much voltage would I need total for 3 dvd drive steppers and 1 NEMA 17?
Thank you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2019 11:44AM by BanditSalandit.
December 12, 2019 02:14AM
12v is fine, you need enough amperage to drive everything and if you're going to print, the hotend will use 40watts probably, so with your PSU there is not going to be enough current to both run all steppers AND the hotend.

December 12, 2019 08:20AM
I got the motor to work by using google drive files from a Youtube video. Thank you to all who have helped so far.

If anyone needs them here they are: [drive.google.com]
Just download the Teacup firmware and just adjust the COM port and arduino IDE directory and just build and upload to your board.

I thought the hotend only needed 12v 2A PSU at most. I'll change the amperage on each driver to get them running normally (btw what is the standard amperage for the dvd drive motors?)
The hotend I'm using:
[www.ebay.com]
December 12, 2019 11:31AM
BanditSalandit
I got the motor to work by using google drive files from a Youtube video. Thank you to all who have helped so far.

If anyone needs them here they are: [drive.google.com]
Just download the Teacup firmware and just adjust the COM port and arduino IDE directory and just build and upload to your board.

I thought the hotend only needed 12v 2A PSU at most. I'll change the amperage on each driver to get them running normally (btw what is the standard amperage for the dvd drive motors?)
The hotend I'm using:
[www.ebay.com]

What works best is to start a series of movements on the printer and start with the lowest setting on the drivers. Then slowly increase the power on each driver until the motor runs smoothly. The small steppers don't need much current so you might be in the safe zone current wise but you'll be asking the maximum from your PSU. I recommend setting the power with a ceramic screwdriver or add some tape to insulate the metal shaft of the screwdriver because if you accidentally short the driver while it's running you will most probably kill the driver.

Usually these hotends are supplied with a 40watt ceramic cartridge. 12v/40w translates into 3.3Amps if I'm not mistaken. And a stepper motor Nema17 type will usually draw around 1~1.5Amps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login