Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What made you go with a Duet/RepRap vs the others?

Posted by luckyflyer 
What made you go with a Duet/RepRap vs the others?
January 03, 2020 02:35AM
I have a corexy kit ordered and have been looking at the Duet controller boards. I like the larger screen sizes that are available for them. I have the inexpensive skr1.3 with octoprint in a modified monoprice machine and it has worked pretty well. It is not my intent to start any brand/format etc war but I would like to know is there any print improvement or feature(s) or some other benefit or advantage with the duet/reprap combination vs any of the other 32 bit/ marlin combos? The duet is more expensive and I did not feel the monoprice justified the larger expense. But I'm willing to spend the extra on the new printer it there is a tangible benefit. I purposely did not post this in the duet forum wanting to (hopefully) keep it on more neutral ground, your thoughts please.
Re: What made you go with a Duet/RepRap vs the others?
January 03, 2020 05:34AM
I chose the duet 2 wifi for a number of reasons:
  • The board has good thermal properties for the integrated stepper motor controllers
  • Has huge expansion capabilities which was important for me because I like to be able to design and build my own 3D printer. Allowing me to add any feature that I could foresee at the time.
  • it has fan connectors capable of 25KHz PWM (or even higher), which is inaudible. In marlin 8 bit I could always hear the pwm frequency. This makes it compatible with PC type fans that have a PWM input
  • Actively developed firmware with regular updates and support, even for older boards.
  • Open source, if I want to change anything, I can.
  • Wifi, I really like it because no matter where I put my 3D printer, it's a self contained unit that can print anywhere. And I hate memory card swapping winking smiley
  • easy to configure and reconfigure using text files stored on the sd card, so no reflashing firmware for changing basic or even more complex settings.

Above reasons are not specific to this board per say but I like it all in one place.

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
January 03, 2020 06:02AM
RepRap firmware configuration uses gcode. That means you can tune most parameters while printing, so you can tweak settings to maximize print quality of your machine, then save those settings to the config files when you're done tweaking. Duet has quiet drivers, good thermal performance, advanced extrusion parameters, constant firmware development, expandability, and a very active user community. They use high quality connectors on the board, too.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 03, 2020 10:10AM
Thank you gentlemen, this helps me form an opinion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login