Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is the highest performing filament that doesn’t require a heated chamber

Posted by Doppler9000 
What is the highest performing filament that doesn’t require a heated chamber
March 12, 2020 07:40PM
What are the highest performing filamentsthat doesn’t require a heated chamber?

I would like to be able to make functional parts for mechanical prototypes and am trying to figure out if I need a printer with a heated chamber.

What are the higher performing (need more mechanical performance than chemical resistance) filaments I should look at more closely.

TIA
Re: What is the highest performing filament that doesn’t require a heated chamber
March 13, 2020 07:42AM
Nylon with carbon fiber shouldn’t need a heated chamber.
Re: What is the highest performing filament that doesn’t require a heated chamber
March 13, 2020 11:02AM
I have been printing Polymaker's PolyMide CoPA without a heated chamber and it seems really nice. It's a nylon 6 & 6.6 blend. I haven't had any warping issues at all. Print first layer at 260C and the rest at 265C, bed at 75C and 50mm/s speed. PEI sprint steel sheet with elmers glue stick.

Has a very high temperature resistance....I think without annealing it's 140C and with annealing rated to something like 180C.

[polymaker.com]
March 14, 2020 09:18PM
What sort of mechanical performance are you looking for? Temperature resistance? Yield strength? Tensile strength? Impact strength? Stiffness? Wear? Garden variety PLA actually works pretty well for a lot of lower temp applications, especially where stiffness and yield strength are more important than impact strength or ultimate tensile strength.
March 15, 2020 04:42PM
I've got some HDPE with glass fibre which needs 300° hot end but only 75° bed and sticks to PP tape on a glass bed

Makes pretty robust objects...

A
March 17, 2020 02:03AM
Enclosed chambers are simple to make with rigid foam insulation. Add temperature alarms to keep worry levels down.
March 26, 2020 02:20PM
I've had some phenomenal results with Priline and NylonX. They one is CF/PC and the other is Nylon/CF. Both are very rigid and strong. Neither require heated chambers, and nozzle temps are very manageable.

I've also discovered that you can really improve the quality of a print (and reduce the need for supports) by turning parts on edge at a 45 degree angle. see attached for an example of an actual configuation I printed today.

Don
Attachments:
open | download - Doc1.jpg (148.7 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login