Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Control board unknown

Posted by maninthebox1 
Control board unknown
March 16, 2020 09:14PM
Hello,
I'm trying to figure out what model is this board.

I removed it from a mini 3d printer, the model is TT-1S by TwoTrees.
There is a STM32F103 VCT6 and a usb to serial CH340G

I would like to change the firmware, but until now no luck. I hope someone can help me.

Here the link to the photo folder
[www.dropbox.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2020 09:15PM by maninthebox1.
Re: Control board unknown
March 17, 2020 03:48PM
%99 sure that is an SKR or a low cost clone of an SKR running marlin either way. they can delete features that are not needed on your 3d printer to lower the cost of the board. you will need to use JTAG if there is no working marlin bootloader over USB. there may be a jumper to enable the bootloader. compare to the SKR to see what is different and what is the same. also, before you waste too much time. it is also possible that the pinout has been modified so much that it becomes a real hassle to work on that weird SKR variant using only the official SKR marlin firmware.
March 17, 2020 07:38PM
Thanks for the reply.

I already compared the pinout with all known board supported by marlin, and none is the same. There are only dupont pin for serial connetion and no jumper pin to enable bootloader.
It seems a low cost clone to me, too, but I'm pretty sure the original firmware it's not Marlin.

Unfortunately I was unable to find any information googleing it.
March 17, 2020 08:38PM
how did you determine that it does not run marlin? it is a 32bit board. there is a short list of firmwares that will run on it. you can change the default marlin startup screen on the LCD. you can change the icons. but you can tell sometimes because the menu is like marlin. that expansion header looks like from a duet 2 but the STM32F103 makes me think SKR. did you already try the tutorial on how to communicate with the build environment over USB for marlin 2.0? that will confirm %100 that it does not run marlin. that one is an easy test. after that you can try poking it with tools made for other firmwares. eventually you will find the bootloader or at least a UART you can send commands to start checking and uploading firmware. I googled 32bit 3d printer board firmware stm32f1. found this reprap fork. not sure that is a dead end.
[github.com]

you can go through the top 5 firmwares that run on STM32F103 and just try some kind of UART over USB. thats what I would do.
March 17, 2020 08:43PM
what is your level of skill with this stuff? I'm not sure if you need all the details or if you already have what you need. this is how you get a UART if all you have is the UART pins.

[www.amazon.com]
March 18, 2020 12:27AM
I think I may have some useful information. if that main board was setup to work with a pi then that 40 pin connector would go to the pi. then that would be for octoprint and klipper. so maybe it is running klipper? and if so you can find the UART by looking at the pi 40 pin header. you can get the serial speed, stop bit, parity, flow control from reading the klipper source or at least one of the make files. if you can not identify the pin 1 on the 40 pin header, start looking for continuity with the USB shields that we know are the ground to the entire board. that will tell you the ground pins on that 40 pin header. then you can figure out the rest.

[github.com]
March 18, 2020 06:25AM
longbeardpolymer
how did you determine that it does not run marlin? it is a 32bit board. there is a short list of firmwares that will run on it. you can change the default marlin startup screen on the LCD. you can change the icons. but you can tell sometimes because the menu is like marlin. that expansion header looks like from a duet 2 but the STM32F103 makes me think SKR. did you already try the tutorial on how to communicate with the build environment over USB for marlin 2.0? that will confirm %100 that it does not run marlin. that one is an easy test. after that you can try poking it with tools made for other firmwares. eventually you will find the bootloader or at least a UART you can send commands to start checking and uploading firmware. I googled 32bit 3d printer board firmware stm32f1. found this reprap fork. not sure that is a dead end.
[github.com]

you can go through the top 5 firmwares that run on STM32F103 and just try some kind of UART over USB. thats what I would do.

It seems it does not run Marlin right now, I used pronterface and simplify3d and both doesn't connect, but it should be able to run Marlin.

Yes I have a UART and I will made some test today.

longbeardpolymer
I think I may have some useful information. if that main board was setup to work with a pi then that 40 pin connector would go to the pi. then that would be for octoprint and klipper. so maybe it is running klipper? and if so you can find the UART by looking at the pi 40 pin header. you can get the serial speed, stop bit, parity, flow control from reading the klipper source or at least one of the make files. if you can not identify the pin 1 on the 40 pin header, start looking for continuity with the USB shields that we know are the ground to the entire board. that will tell you the ground pins on that 40 pin header. then you can figure out the rest.

[github.com]
I don't know Klipper, but I will take a look.

Thank you
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login