Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MEGA FREAKS3d printer

Posted by ZZRBlokey 
MEGA FREAKS3d printer
May 15, 2020 03:17AM
Morning Gang,

I'll Try and keep this short and sweet, But unlikely.
OK, Many years a go I managed to purchase a ELEC FREAKS 3d printer ( as per pic ) its using the MARLIN 1.0.0 firmware, and has a small platform 140 x 120 x 100mm.
Prior to all the CORONA outbreak, I was about to purchase a few very cheap CR-10 machines, but before I knew it they all sold out, and the remaining and smaller printers on the market and quadrupled out of my budget.

The FREAK 3d printer is a surprisingly good little printer, just to small, and everything is spot on settings wise, I just want to increase the bed size,
So I decided to MEGA it into a much bigger machine, using parts from it, and stuff I had in my workshop, aluminium extrusion, etc. new build platform is now 300 x 300 x 500mm.

My problem is, there seems to be no way of adjusting the build area via the LCD screen on the printer, So from my research, to do what I need to happen, I have to flash the firmware and make adjustments within it for the new build area, ??????
which seems kinda simple enough, but from watching vids from Thomas Sanladerer, its better to use a pre named config files for branded named machines from the updated MARLIN firmware1.9.0, Unfortunately my machine, or anything technical, like firmware is non existent on the web. But there are, other simular looking machines out there, like Tronxy X1, Creality CR-7, Afinibot A5, NWA3D A5, but these again are not named in any MARLIN configuration files.

So my question is what MARLIN Machine Config would be best to use to upgrade the firmware on my printer, just so that I can do nothing else but, make the build area bigger. Could I use the the cr-10 files or is that taking things to extreme. as I have no hot bed, auto level etc.

Again the Mother / control board has no real info about it to add to config settings but after many hrs of searching it seems to be the same board used in a Creality CR-7, but a black version of the pic attached,

Thanks for reading, and look forward to some constructive comments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2020 03:28AM by ZZRBlokey.
Attachments:
open | download - Freaks3D printer.jpg (85.6 KB)
open | download - CR-7 controller board.png (587.1 KB)
Re: MEGA FREAKS3d printer
May 15, 2020 04:18AM
Correct, you need new firmware when you change hardware.

All the control boards look similar. You need to identify what pins are being used for what...
and what is the label on the main cpu... my guess ia atmega644p in which case it is to small for modern firmware.

I would put the controller aside as get a new new. where you know what pins are used for what.

try sending the machine a M503 (report settings) should at least tell you a few basic settings, but may not since is quite old...

looks like company never released firmware, which is a shame, a) they broke licencing agreement, b) gives 'us' nothing to work from.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login