Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2mm layer with 3mm filament

Posted by Ashrafi 
2mm layer with 3mm filament
June 02, 2020 06:10AM
Hi everyone
I just started learning how to make a 3D printer. I want to make a 3D printer 2*2 meters that can print with a 3 mm filament, 2 mm high on each layer. Can I make this printer with RepRap 1.4 and Arduino 2560? Is there an open source code for this project?
VDX
Re: 2mm layer with 3mm filament
June 02, 2020 06:40AM
... for this heigh layers you'll need a nozzle bore of around 2mm too, so expect much oozing ... but sounds doable ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 04, 2020 01:15PM

can print with a 3 mm filament, 2 mm high on each layer.
Did you actually mean 3mm diameter as bought or a printed wall width of 3mm? just checking.
Printing may be slow. The hot end has a hot metal block so it will heat the filament from the outside. It will take more energy or more time to heat the middle of the filament with a larger diameter. There is likely to be an issue if you don't get it all hot enough = a bit like feeding 1.75mm filament through a pool of hot filament - it wont flow and lay flat.
VDX
June 04, 2020 01:25PM
... you can look for common "welding guns" - [www.orbi-tech.de]

Befor the run on the 3mm and 1.75mm filament started, they used 4mm filament for glueing/fusing PVC tiles and other plastic parts (had contact to them since 2005 and tried to get some 3mm filament for our first developments from 2007 on).

There are other extruder based fabbers with even bigger diameter nozzles - first the thread extruders for plastic granules with up to some 10 millimetres extruded filament ... but too the concrete-extruders with up to several centimeters diameter or layer heights ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

June 04, 2020 02:08PM
Sorry. Maybe because I'm a beginner in 3D printing, I couldn't get it right.
Let me ask the question differently
Is it possible to make a 3D printer using Raprap 1.4 that is 2 mm Layer Height? You can see this type of print at the link below.
[www.youtube.com]
June 04, 2020 02:10PM
please see this link:
[www.youtube.com]
VDX
June 04, 2020 03:35PM
... yes, it's possible -- I've tested with 0.8mm and 1.2mm bores and a friend tested with a 4mm bore ... it's a bit problematic for the high oozing amount, but this could be adressed with additives inside the filament for "thixotroping" the viscosity of the molten plastic.

Here some pretty old Images of my tests with the 0.8mm nozzle, showing some of the problems with oozing (the gaps in the background) and "wanking" extruding:

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login