Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Max 'Bed' Size Marlin

Posted by Docara 
Max 'Bed' Size Marlin
June 24, 2020 10:07AM
Hello All - first post,

I'm looking to use Marlin with a very big but basic CNC machine.
What is the maximum size that Marlin firmware can deal with 3m 5m 15m , 20m?

I'm currently using it for 8ft ply boards so clearly provision has been made for sizes greater than 200x200mm

Thanks
Doc
VDX
Re: Max 'Bed' Size Marlin
June 24, 2020 12:47PM
... I'm using Marlin4Due with a 3m long XZ stage at microstepping mode (so even higher "steps per meter" counts) ... should be no problem for even bigger machines smoking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 26, 2020 07:09AM
Thanks for the reply but that doesn't answer my question.

Marlin must have a theoretical maximum size 'number' for length that it can hold internally which corresponds to step size, micrsteps, pulley teeth etc . If I want to shape a piece of wood say 20m long (made up length) is this possible

thanks
VDX
June 26, 2020 07:34AM
... to find this "limit" you have to check the variables type for the related coordinates and the "microsteps per mm" settings, so you can calculate the biggest possible numbers ....

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

June 26, 2020 09:21AM
XYZE positions are stored as floats

how big a float is depends on the controller you running

so for an arduino mega for eg
"Floating-point numbers can be as large as 3.4028235E+38 and as low as -3.4028235E+38. They are stored as 32 bits (4 bytes) of information. Floats have only 6-7 decimal digits of precision. That means the total number of digits, not the number to the right of the decimal point."

but as it says in reality 6-7 digits so 1000000 mm (if your only using full mm's, )
more like 10000.00mm in real life

So about 10 meters. with 2dp.

but many many things will probably break before then.
This is 3d printer firmware. although there are many pushing it to be used as routers etc. its is designed for 3d printed and tested for sane 3d printing values only.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2020 09:24AM by Dust.
VDX
June 26, 2020 02:48PM
... I'm using Marlin4Due firmware and a modified Pronterface for (industrial) paste-dispensers and laser-engravers ... and with an own software in "robots" to move/control big ultrasonic cleaning systems smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2020 02:48PM by VDX.

Viktor
--------

June 29, 2020 07:38AM
Thank you Dust (accepted answer)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login