Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem opening a new Marlin Download

Posted by zurferjoe 
Problem opening a new Marlin Download
July 01, 2020 02:20PM
I have downloaded Marlin for my Geeetech i3 ,done it before no problem , click on the Marlin text it opens to show the Marlin and it all opens ! Now when I have downloaded click on the Marlin text it opens but instead of the blue Logo from Marlin it has the Simplify 3D colourd Logo , and ofcourse Simplify 3D cant open it !! Can anybody give me a clue whats going on ? Hope so thank you Harry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2020 02:22PM by zurferjoe.
Attachments:
open | download - Marlin 1.JPG (91.9 KB)
open | download - mar 2.JPG (113.9 KB)
Re: Problem opening a new Marlin Download
July 04, 2020 07:20AM
Im getting this everytime I unzip the Marlin program , any ideas whats up ? I have reset the apps etc but still this coming up !
Attachments:
open | download - Marlin 1.JPG (91.9 KB)
open | download - mar 2.JPG (113.9 KB)
July 04, 2020 09:05AM
This is called file associations

In windows it looks at the .h extension and show you the program icon of he program you last opened it with. (regardless of if that program can open it or not.)
These can also be set when you install a program.

all you do it right click on the file and select the application you want to open it with. Could be as simple as notepad, wordpad or notepad++ or something like vscode.
Depends what you want to do when you click on a .h file.

here is a tutorial. [www.digitaltrends.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2020 09:05AM by Dust.
July 04, 2020 11:33AM
I know about the file associations , and have tried to understand it /I have even erased the Simplify3D program , but its still there when I click on open , right click left click there it is the Simplify 3D icon ! I have also noticed that I dont get , when I click right ,the open with line .Hope the pictures help , and maybe you can tell me Im doing wrong !!
Attachments:
open | download - thumbnail.jpg (51.4 KB)
open | download - thumbnail (1).jpg (48.8 KB)
open | download - thumbnail (3).jpg (25.3 KB)
open | download - thumbnail (4).jpg (20.3 KB)
open | download - thumbnail (5).jpg (27.5 KB)
open | download - thumbnail (6).jpg (37.3 KB)
open | download - thumbnail (7).jpg (34.5 KB)
open | download - thumbnail (8).jpg (33.1 KB)
July 05, 2020 07:07AM
SO !!!! I have managed to use another Marlin Arduino file I had already on my PC and it works ! Well almost , hope you can see the problem thats poped up

main cpps:5 :undefined to setup

main cpps:15 undefined to loop

well I did say almost ! Hope you can help
Attachments:
open | download - thumbnail.jpg (112.1 KB)
July 05, 2020 11:34AM
Did you somehow combine files of two separate versions of Marlin by any chance?

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
July 06, 2020 04:57AM
I opened Arduino ,then went to the File and Open and uploaded what I thought was the word Marlin ino , but just the word not the Icon , and bingo it came back and opend as Marlin Arduino ! But ofcourse as stated it still doesnt work due to it saying when I try to Verify the program that ,main cpp:5 undefined setup ,and main cpp:15 undefined loop .Any clues ?
July 06, 2020 09:30AM
looking extremely close at your thumbnails 0 to 8 I think I see the issue

in thumbnail_3_.jpg your extracting Downloads/Marlin-2.0.x.zip into a new folder Downloads/Marlin-2.0.x
This is good

but in thumbnail_4_.jpg your using file explorer to look inside the Downloads/Marlin-2.0.x.zip again. not inside the extracted Downloads/Marlin-2.0.x folder

You cannot load marlin into the arduino IDE from the still compressed zip file.
July 06, 2020 12:15PM
It looks like Im back to square 1 ! I cant open the zip because when I do Simplify3D opens it and ofcourse it cant ! I have even to erased the Simplify3d and then tried it and it still used it !! Also when I open Aruino dis it supposed to have the void and loop icon like in this picture ? I have tried the Change the file associations , but to no avail .I have seen You Tube tips till I fell asleeep ! Oh well all the fun of 3D printing !!
Attachments:
open | download - thumbnail.jpg (57.1 KB)
July 06, 2020 12:43PM
And you have switched from being a windows user to an apple user.
July 06, 2020 12:54PM
No always Windows 10
July 12, 2020 12:52PM
Ok it seems Ive have a got it ! Well to be honest my friend on Team Viewer with me got it ! He changed the Simplify 3D app that was trying to open the Marlin.ino with to Arduino.ino app and bingo it works ! Then I got a Using type f-name 'f post_t' after struct , and found a guy on You Tube witha simple answer , change the Arduino 1.8.5 to Arduino 1.6.11 and it all works ! If this goes on I might be able to use my printer ! Thanks again all ther people who helped me .
Attachments:
open | download - The answer.jpg (36.8 KB)
July 12, 2020 02:46PM
I got some bad news for you.

If your get that old chestnut of a error Using type f-name 'f post_t' after struct
The firmware your running is so old its dangerous.

Its from a time before there where safety features.

I would strongly recommend you don't use this really old version of marlin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2020 04:43AM by Dust.
July 13, 2020 04:28AM
Ofcourse your right .If I keep the old program ,the fault doesnt appear and my printer works ,but might catch fire .If I use the newer program it wont catch fire because my printer doesnt work , But I would like to print with my printer .So maybe you have the answer for this old chestnut ?
July 13, 2020 07:54PM
Try downloading a newer Marlin file that has the safety features and use the newer Arduino program to compile it. Using the old software with the old firmware just sounds bad all around.
July 14, 2020 04:40AM
Honestly, maybe it would be time to upgrade Marlin to the newest version. Is it intimidating and is that the reason why you're holding off on starting to use a new version? I understand it can seem like a challenge, but you're come this far and I'm pretty sure you'll manage a new Marlin version.

The TeachingTech youtube channel just happened to have uploaded a new video about editing Marlin for beginners! Take a peek here: [www.youtube.com]

July 15, 2020 03:55AM
I have downloaded the new Marlin and the new Arduino ,but get ,error messages ,using type f-name 'fpost'_after 'struct`and no matter what I did I got this . So I went back to Arduino 1.6.11 ,and I am running the new Marlin 2 .But I still have a fire extinguisher and a fire /smoke alarm by the side of my printers ! Have you ? I need to be able to sleep when I do overnight printing , which is often here are a couple of my sand casting boxes for V8 engine inlet manifolds .Thank you for the link to the Marlin tech .Have a great day stay safe Harry

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2020 06:00AM by zurferjoe.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_2107.jpg (81.5 KB)
open | download - group pic.jpg (82.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_2025.JPG (109.4 KB)
open | download - IMG_2013.JPG (73 KB)
July 15, 2020 05:32AM
Wow, those are some of the most insane tall prints I've seen on such a printer. Nowadays to get Marlin to compile I switched to Visual Studio Code, this is also what Marlin suggests to use instead of using the Arduino IDE:
[marlinfw.org]

After reading that page, this is the follow up that links to VScode specific instructions (also linked in the previous link):
[marlinfw.org]

Maybe when you have the time some day you could try and check this one out. It really solved all the issues I have ever had with building Marlin. Good luck with everything smiling smiley I personally do not have fire protection around my printer, but I am running the latest version of Marlin and also don't run the printer when I'm not home or asleep. It is limiting me somewhat in the options I have to print stuff, but I'm currently working on a really good and safe printer and when it's finished I am confident that I can safely print without having to worry about setting the house on fire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2020 05:34AM by Ohmarinus.

July 15, 2020 06:14AM
Thank you very much for the tips and links !! My new project printer is a Tronxy 5S , crap board etc etc , but Ive changed all the structures running everything outside ,and can now print ,when I get the programing right !! 500x500x500 ,and a bigger fire extinguisher !! As sometimes my printer is running 36 hours .And since I have fitted 2 Mosfets , one for the heated bed and the hotend , I dont get melted connections anymore ! And another fan direct facing the mainboard , and silent fans !! That makes a hell of a lot of difference ,all the best Harry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login