Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mosquito hot end...yes or no?

Posted by hobbymods 
Mosquito hot end...yes or no?
July 07, 2020 04:09AM
Hi All,

I'm about to build my Rat Rig V-core (v slot roller version), and I'm looking at what extruder/hot end combo to go with.

I've searched here and elsewhere regarding the Mosquito hot ends vs the E3D V6, and there's not much info especially regarding long term use and reliability.

I've actually got a new E3DV6 sitting here, but I have never been a fan of the groove mount. That doesn't mean I won't use it, but if I'm buying a new BMG extruder (direct drive configuration) I'm open to getting it with the Mosquito/Magnum, as I like the mounting and heat block arrangement better.

The machine I'm building is a 400x400x600 build area, with a view to mostly large PLA and PETG prints. If I go with an enclosure, I'd print smaller items in ABS etc, but I've got another machine that can do really high temp stuff. I'll probably go with a standard 0.4mm nozzle and one in 0.8mm as well for 1mm wall thickness/0.5mm layer height prints.

I've been printing for 8 years, and only say that to explain that I can build and tune my machine correctly. I have no interest in how fast I can print, I'll buy an RC car or plane for speed. I am interested in print quality and strength above all other considerations.

My question is do I spend the money and get the Mosquito or Magnum?

I'm happy to spend the money just for the improved mounting (really don't like the groove mount) and nozzle changing alone, as long as it is at least as good or better than the E3DV6 in reliability and print quality.

Is there anyone out there who's used one in a hard working application? How's it going for you?

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Re: Mosquito hot end...yes or no?
July 08, 2020 01:48PM
Hands down, The Mosquito / Bondtech BMG combo is superior. I use this exclusively for printing PETG. This combo has solved all my stringing problems with PETG.
I print tooling and parts with PETG and now really enjoy the quality that I get. The precision of the Bondtech BMG is just what was needed for accurate extrusion and the Mosquito hot end has simple one handed nozzle swap out's using their special torque wrench.

Worked for me!
July 09, 2020 06:06AM
G3DBuilder
Hands down, The Mosquito / Bondtech BMG combo is superior. I use this exclusively for printing PETG. This combo has solved all my stringing problems with PETG.
I print tooling and parts with PETG and now really enjoy the quality that I get. The precision of the Bondtech BMG is just what was needed for accurate extrusion and the Mosquito hot end has simple one handed nozzle swap out's using their special torque wrench.

Worked for me!

Well that's great to hear!

I was getting worried that no one had one out there in the real world.

What retraction distance and speed do you use, and do you use the same retraction settings for PLA and other plastics?
July 10, 2020 06:59AM
In my opinion? The mosquito is nice, but it's also marketed hype and grossly priced. An E3D with a titanium heatbreak performs. I don't get stringing with PETG and my volcano and I'm using a Bowden setup. Tuning retracts was a pain but makes all the difference.

That said, if you've got the money, and are willing to spend it you do you. I'm not a fan of groove mounting either but I hate slick marketing with colossal price mark-ups.
July 10, 2020 07:08PM
obelisk79
In my opinion? The mosquito is nice, but it's also marketed hype and grossly priced. An E3D with a titanium heatbreak performs. I don't get stringing with PETG and my volcano and I'm using a Bowden setup. Tuning retracts was a pain but makes all the difference.

That said, if you've got the money, and are willing to spend it you do you. I'm not a fan of groove mounting either but I hate slick marketing with colossal price mark-ups.

Yes...the price feels like 2 fingers without so much as a kiss on the cheek first, but it seems they won't drop it. It's hard not to resent it a bit, especially the way all the added (but necessary) bits add up. It's an expensive set up, no doubt at all.

Having said that, I'm getting very positive feedback about it here and on another forum, and for the convenience and form factor I'll probably pay it.

I WILL NOT buy a Chinese clone of anything....they can #$%^ right off as far as I'm concerned. I would much rather pay a grossly inflated price to the person who worked to develop the thing and bring it to market, than to feed a lying thief.
July 10, 2020 10:19PM
Just go with Hermera, get quality, and save cash? Unless you've already ordered the bmg...
July 11, 2020 01:51AM
obelisk79
Just go with Hermera, get quality, and save cash? Unless you've already ordered the bmg...

Never even really looked at one of those...I'll do my research.

To be honest I've got a BMG fitted to my E3 Pro, and I must say it oozes quality in appearance and performs flawlessly. I've not seen much said about the Hemera, but I have seen reports of problems with the Titan extruders bearings etc. The BMG/Mosquito combo seems to be getting good raps and I don't see any complaints.

But I will look into that one now as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login