Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gcode plotter for vinyl cutting?

Posted by sungod3k 
Gcode plotter for vinyl cutting?
July 19, 2020 03:29PM
Hi,

i want to get some plotting functionality for my printer so i bought a vinyl cutter [de.aliexpress.com] and made a little holder to attach it to the printer.

I made some test cuts and i noticed some issues in steep corners, where the turning radius seems to be a bit to tight for the drag knife to come around.

The gcode i generated with inkscapes gcodetools and i also tried to j tech photonics gcode generator, but I wonder if theres a gecode generator made for drag knifes, that can smooth corners or at least give a warning if a feature is too small?
VDX
Re: Gcode plotter for vinyl cutting?
July 19, 2020 04:16PM
... this issue was the main reason, I've developed my first CO2-lasercutter around 1990 smoking smiley

Another possibility is an "active tangetial cutting head" and a firmware, which will lift the head, (tangetially) reorient the knife and reposition/offset the head ... all not needed with a laser cool smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Re: Gcode plotter for vinyl cutting?
July 19, 2020 10:55PM
This is the reason I bought a SumaSign D610 Vinyl Cutter, actually It is my only piece of CNC Electronic equipment that has paid for itself 1000 times over.
However it does require a lot of floor space being 4'x 2' X 1' an sitting on a 4' tall stand.

I need to start making 3D Lettering with my 3D Printers this would then pay for them in time..
Almost made a 3D Printed Sign sale the other day ,Though the customer being in the middle of this Covid 19 recession Decided to wait awhile on this sign.

I test printed a smaller sample for there inspection, and they were impressed with the finished product lettering quality.
The Lettering would have maxed out the XY Axis on my 3D Printer and would have been 1/2 - 1 inch height on the Z-Axis.

Depending on the size of what you are trying to cut, I know that when I try to cut very small lettering with my vinyl cutter is peels the lettering from the adhesive backing.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login