Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I have a questions about software for a CNC router.

Posted by CVRIV 
I have a questions about software for a CNC router.
August 15, 2020 04:47PM
I know with 3D printing you need CAD to draw and a slicer to print, but what about CNC routing? I'm a bit confused.

I read that there's 3 programs I need: CAD, CAM, and control software. Does the CAM software generate the g-code and the control software accepts the g-code and runs the machine?
VDX
Re: I have a questions about software for a CNC router.
August 15, 2020 04:59PM
... typically a CAD/CAM-combo is used to draw in 2D or construct in 3D and then select the target CNC-mill type end generate the proper NC-code for this machine ... this could be G-code too, but often it's proprietary formats for different brands/setups.

With the typical 3D-printer-setup used for engraving with G-code it's mostly 2D so could be handled different -- here you can sketch/draw your graphics and convert into G-code with different programs ... e.g. with the OpenSource program inkscape ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2020 05:00PM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 15, 2020 07:17PM
Ok. Thanks.
August 15, 2020 11:10PM

Does the CAM software generate the g-code and the control software accepts the g-code and runs the machine?
Yep.

The control software for most hobby CNC's is GRBL, which requires a PC to stream G-code commands via USB (unlike 3D printers which can usually run standalone). I use a free program called Universal G-code Sender.

The G-code can be produced any way you like, even writing it by hand in any text editor. I write C++ programs to generate it. There should also be programs to convert vector drawings (Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, etc.) into G-code, but I haven't really looked into it yet. Proper CAD/CAM software is needed for generating G-code from 3D models.
August 16, 2020 02:49AM
I use Fusion 360 to generate 3d models and produce the gcode. My CNC router runs LinuxCNC. It's a hard combination to beat for the price.
August 16, 2020 03:14AM
etfrench
I use Fusion 360 to generate 3d models and produce the gcode. My CNC router runs LinuxCNC. It's a hard combination to beat for the price.

I agree, my colleague uses Fusion360 for all his CAM work now and apparently it's a very good piece of software to master, also for modelling and other CAD work.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
VDX
August 16, 2020 03:41AM
... there are different "flavours" of G-code, so checkt first, if it's running directly ... otherwise - I've programmed different converters to/from G-code variants or importers/converters for HPGL, DXF or rudimentary SVG, as it's exported from CorelDraw ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 25, 2020 12:43AM
Ohmarinus
etfrench

I agree, my colleague uses Fusion360 for all his CAM work now and apparently it's a very good piece of software to master, also for modelling and other CAD work.

I got Fusion 360 and it looks a bit like Google Sketchup to me. Ive been using Inventor for so long the Fusion lools a bit dialed down to me.

I started using a program called Estlecam, which is Cam amd control software in one. So far I like. I might end up buying it.
August 25, 2020 04:40AM
CVRIV
Ohmarinus
etfrench

I got Fusion 360 and it looks a bit like Google Sketchup to me. Ive been using Inventor for so long the Fusion lools a bit dialed down to me.

I started using a program called Estlecam, which is Cam amd control software in one. So far I like. I might end up buying it.

I would still consider learning Fusion360 because it has built-in CAM planning and control etc.

Old tutorial, but it only got better from there on:
[www.youtube.com]

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login