Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DIY high temp printer build

Posted by Rik Snelder 
DIY high temp printer build
August 29, 2020 06:46AM
Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce the project that I am working on, a DIY high temperature 3d printer. I have been working on it for a couple of months now, and the design is almost finished. It features all high quality parts from dyzedesign, Bosch Rexroth, Duet3d, alphacool and many others!

The finished design will have a build volume of 240x240x275mm, 500c watercooled hotend, 200c capable bed, heated build chamber and filament chamber.
For the heated chamber I will be using 3 200 watt ptc heaters with a fan slowly blowing hot air in the chamber, with this I hope to be able to reach a chamber temp of around 100-120c. The render below is an indication of the design, there have already been some changes to it

Now it is just waiting on the last parts to start the construction, the frame is already standing as can be see. I am also working on a website for this project, so that should be up and running in the next couple of weeks!

Will keep this post updated on any further process made!

Regards,
Rik

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2020 07:37AM by Rik Snelder.
Re: DIY high temp printer build
August 29, 2020 08:06AM
An interesting design, I will watch to see how it goes.

A passing thought - It looks like the filament is stored on the right-hand side of the printer with access through a door: Having a heated chamber where the filament and printed part are held at a high temperature during printing does not mean that rolls of filament will also take the same temperature. It may be necessary to have some passive or active temperature reduction in that area. I have had a roll of ABS held at 100°C for several hours that was totally unusable afterward as it had all stuck together.

Mike
August 29, 2020 11:08AM
Hi Mike,

Indeed, the filament is stored at the right side of the printer.
But it is fully isolated with 30 mm of rockwool insulation, so I am confident the filament rolls won't melt smiling smiley
But when it is done we will see!
September 11, 2020 01:40PM
Nice design, but I would realy prefer to be able to see what is being printed much better why not use polycarbonate for the top so you can look better inside? I know you will loose more heat but then just increase the heating.

Shop owner www.HighTemp3D.com We specialize in high temperature printers and printer parts.
September 11, 2020 01:46PM
The top side is made op polycarbobonate, but the motion system will be covered up by the bellows so you won't be able to see from above anyways...
However, there is a polycarbonate window in the front door, so you can see the print smiling smiley
Also I might add a camera to the inside later
September 11, 2020 02:47PM
Rik Snelder
The top side is made op polycarbobonate, but the motion system will be covered up by the bellows so you won't be able to see from above anyways...
However, there is a polycarbonate window in the front door, so you can see the print smiling smiley
Also I might add a camera to the inside later

Keep in mind to keep the camera cool. CCD/CMOS etc doesn't like heat.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login