Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[SOLVED] Axis moving only in one direction?

Posted by mardy3d 
[SOLVED] Axis moving only in one direction?
September 10, 2020 01:55PM
Hi,

i am working on a major electronics upgrade for my old MakerFarm i3v 10" with a RAMPS1.4.

After adding a few cables here and there as a first part of the major upgrade, I found that the y stepper only spins in one direction, the +y direction to be precise. For the other direction, the motor does not move and only makes sounds similar to a stalling motor.

Have you ever encountered something like that? What could be the problem?

I checked the following already:

1. Check that all 4 cables of the extension cable are conductive. -> it is.
  2. Swap the motor drivers between the faulty y and the properly working x axis. -> one of the y directions still dont work.
  3. Plug the y cable into the x motor and vise verca. -> now the x axis has the same problem.

Is it maybe a damaged RAMPS board? Or is it maybe EMI as the cables are a little bit closer to each other?

Thank you and best wishes :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2020 11:49AM by mardy3d.
Re: Axis moving only in one direction?
September 10, 2020 02:08PM
I had this happen once and it turned out to be a broken connector on the end of the cable. I cut off the connector and added new crimp connections and a plastic connector and then it worked fine. From what I see it still sounds like this is a wiring issue.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
September 11, 2020 11:49AM
Thank you for your help! I just fixed it.

Good that you pointed me towards potential wiring issues! The connection of the end stop came loose and constantly indicated that it was hit. Hence, the RAMPS firmware did not allow motion in the negative y direction.

After reconnecting the pin, the end stop behaved correctly and everything moves as it should!

Hence, the problem is solved!
September 11, 2020 02:46PM
mardy3d
Thank you for your help! I just fixed it.

Good that you pointed me towards potential wiring issues! The connection of the end stop came loose and constantly indicated that it was hit. Hence, the RAMPS firmware did not allow motion in the negative y direction.

After reconnecting the pin, the end stop behaved correctly and everything moves as it should!

Hence, the problem is solved!

Ha! That was my plan B! winking smiley Good to hear you figured it out. Happy printing! smiling smiley

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
September 11, 2020 02:47PM
Thank you! :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login