Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Computer Motherboard

Posted by Roberts_Clif 
Computer Motherboard
September 23, 2020 02:23PM
This is happening to my Computer thought would post in as it is happening to others Computers.

As time pasted on have upgraded for one Computer to Another an from one Windows operating system to another.
At this time my Computers 8 Core CPU, motherboard and drivers have reached the end of there limits as the motherboard manufacture has stopped creating working drivers.

I have found a fix though do not know how much longer it will hang in there.
When upgrading from window 10 build 1909 to windows 10 build 2004, windows forced a USB 3 driver install this driver will not function correctly in my Computer.
Anyway I restore the windows 10-1909 USB 3 Driver which allowed the USB 3 device to come back to life, then disabled Window from updating Drivers.

(Problem - USB would continuously enable and disable causing USB not to work and Sleep to wake up computer immediately after falling asleep)
This forced me to find a replacement that would allow me to keep running without purchasing a new Computer. Next time maybe forced to change to Linux.

Though most of my Software require Windows operating system may still be forced to purchase a new Windows computer System.
This Computer replacement has been on pause for quite some time because the System I want to build is not cheap and money is tight these days:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2020 02:53PM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
VDX
Re: Computer Motherboard
September 23, 2020 06:23PM
... in this occasions I'm changing to a newer system and let the previous in the last working condition for "side-tasks".

Have some Win7-PC's happy running with CNC-mills or marking lasers ... even one with WinXP for older industry-cameras (drivers only up to XP) ... and even a super-old notebook with Win3.1 and VGA-graphics (more for "historic" means) smoking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 23, 2020 07:35PM
Thank you.

I know that if I do not want to go online I can keep the computer as is or even revert to windows XP or earlier As i still have the ghost images,
Just last year I company hired me to repair a Windows 98 SE machine. They asked a computer repair store and were laughed at so I of course repaired it for them.
This machine is all they have to program Old Radio frequencies, the companies do not make these programs to work on newer Computers because the Radios are obsolete.
I also have a VM ware image of Windows 3.11 for work-groups Running with MS Dos 6.22..

Why Because wanted to see if I could.

Currently I have many computers though I need to reduce the number of Computers I need to have a max of two and maybe a laptop.

My 3D Printers and CNC's run with a Raspberry Pi using Octoprint.

I like finding solutions for problems this is why I am Here it is the best stress reliever I could find..

P.s.I believe that Win 98 SE computer I repaired had a CGA green screen monitor. I also converted it to VM ware now works in any Computer with a 9 pin serial port.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2020 07:36PM by Roberts_Clif.

VDX
September 23, 2020 07:48PM
... if you're searching something interesting for your future projects, then look on the Jetson Nano from NVIDIA - it's the "smallest AI-machine" with an affordable price even for hobbyists, to dive into AI or GPU/CUDA learning ... have two for some DIY-projects and simulations around machine learning and swarm-robotics smoking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

September 23, 2020 08:42PM
I heard they were building computers from GPU's

When I was born Transistor Computers were starting
When I went to collage Microprocessors were starting (you remember the Mark (8)) and (SWTPC 6800) these were what we assembled and had to program before graduation.

After Graduation on my first real job sent Dad to pickup my 1st real computer with all the money I had skimped and saved to pick up my first computer,
Radio Shack told me if I was not there at a certain time they would sell it to the 1st person who wanted it, Dad said I was wasting all my money an almost refused me.
Though in the end he went spent my money and brought home my first computer A Radio Shack TRS-80 with black an white display.
The display was 16 lines of 64 characters. Graphics was 0-127 X 0-47 You could barely program table tennis.

An we all came together with Acoustic coupler modems creating a BBS's and helped each other. 43 years I am still helping others.
[www.youtube.com]

Two years later was hired for my first computer programming position without any formal computer programming education creating a database program for our nuclear reservation.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2020 09:16PM by Roberts_Clif.

VDX
September 24, 2020 02:45AM
... the Jetson Nano is basically a quad-core with slightly more "power" than a RaspBerry4, but too with a GPU-module with 256 CUDA cores -- it's running with preinstalled Linux-images with specifically bundled tools and software for image recognition or neural-networks and other AI-tools ... a bunch of samples from Nvidia to learn and build up winking smiley

Seems, we started in the same time with computers winking smiley -- my first "serious one" (after some basic experiences with a ZX80 when visiting a friend) was a Commodore VC-20, then C-64, AtariST (too with acoustic couplers, starting with 300Baud, last was a Zyxxel with 14400Baud) - then, many years later, the first PC ...

My Diploma thesis around 1990 was based on a Transputer-network and was meant to show the possibility and "power" of highly parallelized computer cores for numerical simulations -- the result was, that a fully equipped ATW (Atari Transputer Workstation), running with OCCAM and special datahandling methodes i've developed, for 250 thousand Deutschmarks had nearly the same "calculation power" as a CrayXMP for (then) around 4-7 Millions Deutschmarks - the Cray needed 2 seconds for the specific benchmark, the ATW 2.2 seconds! ... but seems, this was something too progressive then -- most groups were changig from Fortran77 to C then ... and the complete new software and methodes with OCCAM were maybe something overwhelming ?!? confused smiley

Such massive parallel core structures and multi- and hyperthreading went common years later, so weren't so common/known, when I've finished and presented my work eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------

September 24, 2020 05:11AM
Like Roberts_Clif I used a SWTPC; but in my case it was a 6809 running Flex - later replaced by Uni-Flex then a Unix knock off called Quix - all on 96 Kilobytes (not Megabytes or Gigabytes) of RAM. This was in the very early 1980s.

Back in those days an elderly (elderlier than I am now) technician used to re-filament and rebuild radio valves from the 1920 and 1930s as a hobby. When asked why he did this he said "because I can".

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2020 05:13AM by leadinglights.
VDX
September 24, 2020 05:37AM
... yes, some of my interests (and skills) were initiated by an old guy form our local Gould service divsion ... and some of the hardware too, I've used to build my first flatbed-plotters and CO2-lasercutter ... had and have some of the old gear stored in my basement for "random use" -- built some of the prototypes and demonstrators for my micro/nano-tech and micro-assembling developments around 2000 with this bits'n'bytes ... had otherwise cost me (and my employeers) a fortune, if we had to source it normally eye popping smiley

If someone is interested in 3-/5-axis nano-positioners or 3D-video-mikroscopy or AFM or such ... there are some of the project remnants and tools "waiting" for reactivation/reuse smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2020 05:38AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------

September 24, 2020 08:38AM
I like reminiscing about my younger days.

Though these newer mini computers has the power of hundreds of my TRS-80.
We did some amazing things with our computers like turn a thousand dollar computer into a tape recorder.

Create a computer game using basic mnemonics (assembly language) we were the pioneers, what we are still the pioneers.

I am was looking at these single board mini computers have many projects would like to build an have waited years for the processing power to accomplish the tasks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2020 06:40PM by Roberts_Clif.

VDX
September 24, 2020 11:00AM
... I'm too wondering sometimes, why/how we were able then (without Wikipedia or DIY-forums and only 1MHz-PC's with some ten Kilobytes of RAM), to build/develop/invent all sorts of interesting ideas around computers and software ... and why the younger generations (with forums and wikis and GHz-singelboard PC's/µCU's with Gigabytes of RAM) mostly only rely on common/already known basics ... and barely can "built from scratch" new concepts or solutions confused smiley

Viktor
--------

September 24, 2020 02:41PM
With the most modern technology it is often a lot like magic - a brief typed, or spoken command, or one selected with a mouse click and magic happens. Few people have any idea of what is happening to make the magic: Even fewer have this knowledge if you exclude those who were alive and active when the magic was being developed.

It is no good though for me (or us*) to get smug about our deep understanding of the magic as the same happened in physics a hundred years earlier and we have the same lack of in-depth understanding of physics as most of the youger generations have of the underpinnings of modern technology.

Mike

*Addressed at those who were there when it happened.
VDX
September 24, 2020 04:21PM
... could be the next "magic in development" is around AI -- should be interesting enough, to "memorize" our today world view and compare with ten (or twenty) years later smoking smiley

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login