Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lubricant for PLA bushings?

Posted by Rook 
Lubricant for PLA bushings?
June 20, 2011 04:04PM
So far I have tried attaching some PLA bushings to a smooth rod that arrived lightly oiled, but unfortunately this is insufficient to allow the bushings to move freely. I've read that certain kinds of lubrication are ineffective for PLA/PTFE/ABS, but I wondered if anyone could recommend any types of lubricant for PLA bushings?

Thanks!
Re: Lubricant for PLA bushings?
June 20, 2011 06:02PM
The bushing should slide freely before you lubricate them. I heat one end of a rod with a hot air gun and then slide the bearing up to the hot and and then back down to the cold end. That leaves it exactly the right size.

I think lithium grease is the recommended lubricant for plastics. Petroleum based grease can denature some plastic.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 22, 2011 01:08AM
If you have some handy you might try furniture polish. Thats what I used to use on Lego when I was a kid.
June 22, 2011 05:53AM
silicone grease is good for plastics on metal maybe otherwise known as silicone spray or ezy-glide in australia
VDX
June 22, 2011 08:15AM
... for plastics i use vaseline (petroleum jelly?) if no other proper lubricant at hand ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 22, 2011 01:57PM
Thanks for all the feedback!

In the end I went with lithium based "Carlube Multi-Purpose Grease" from B&Q. The bushings seem to be moving much more freely now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login