Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Voltage regulator problem

Posted by pvishalp19 
Voltage regulator problem
October 11, 2020 11:27PM
My display don't works without USB of aurdino connected to the Computer (Even if 12V SMPS is ON). I am using aurdino mega 2560, ramps 1.4 and reprap Full graphics controller.
So as per some people's suggestions I tried to change the 5V IC of aurdino. So I changed that with "AMS 1117 LM1117 5.0 1013 1A " when I changed to this IC my aurdino started heating up and there was burning fragrance in my aurdino.
So in this case is my IC selection is wrong? What will be the alternative solution to this problem. Which IC should I select now?

Waiting for your prompt response

Thanks in advance
VDX
Re: Voltage regulator problem
October 12, 2020 03:09AM
... you can feed an external 5V-source to the +5V-pins (and GND) - should be much better, than the weak SMD regulators ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 12, 2020 05:09AM
Thanks for your response. Is this the only way can can fix my issue? I don't have any external 5V supply. Can you suggest me any alternative to this?

Regards
VDX
October 12, 2020 06:25AM
... you can replace the onboard-SMD-regulator with a discrete external one like the 7805 on a cooler -- you only have to feed the pins to the correct pads.

There are a bunch of cheap 5V regulators or adjustable dc-dc converters around ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

October 12, 2020 07:03AM
Before we continue, where exactly did the magic smoke come from?

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
October 17, 2020 04:06AM
Audrino was heating exactly where I had replaced new voltage regulator IC. But after that small spark happened in the ramps 1.4 board.

But when I put back my original IC again, after that whenever I connected my aurdino to computer, it is not showing anything under port option in Marlin. Even though in my computer's system manager , under port section I was able to see aurdino mega 2560 (COM4)
I tried to upload drivers of aurdino, but it was saying "The best drivers are already installed for your device".

What can I do now? What could be the reason for this?
VDX
October 17, 2020 04:31AM
... most likely wrecked FTDI-Chip (USB to Serial) or Atmega ... best option seems to buy a new board eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------

October 17, 2020 04:53AM
Which board I need to buy? Aurdino mega or ramps board or both?
October 17, 2020 05:10AM
usb/serial converter is on the mega2560 board.

But I wouldn't bother with a 8 bit mega any more .
Consider a re-arm board. eg [www.aliexpress.com]

Pin compatible with ramps. Just drop it in place of the mega and flash marlin2 and go;
32bit controller
has a much better power supply section.

(there is slight wiring differences if you have a 128x64 dot graphics lcd, need to make a 5v break out cable)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2020 05:18AM by Dust.
VDX
October 17, 2020 05:22AM
... I'm using ArduinoDue and RADDS or a RADDS-compatible (DIY) board with 24V-I/O's smoking smiley

Viktor
--------

October 21, 2020 05:28AM
I am now getting what you are saying. Please elaborate in simple words. I hope my problem is clear. Whatever I have discussed above is for my Hypercube 3D printer.
So please suggest me suitable solution for the same.
October 21, 2020 05:28AM
I am not getting what you are saying
October 26, 2020 10:42AM
Hi. Can anyone help me out in above mentioned issue? Can anyone explain me in simple words?
October 26, 2020 04:07PM
We're telling you to buy a modern controller board that is not Arduino-based and is 24V compatible. Preferably a Duet, but I'm biased - see my signature.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 26, 2020 07:25PM
Another option if you want to keep using the RAMPS is to replace the Mega with a Re-ARM. It has a 32 bit processor (LPC1768) that's well supported under Marlin and has a proper switching voltage regulator.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login