Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heated Chamber Advice

Posted by Liens 
Heated Chamber Advice
November 06, 2020 06:31PM
Hello,

Im am building an CoreXY printer with will be enclosed. One of the goals of this build is to be able to print PEEK. I have worked out most of the requirements like safety precautions, isolation, thermal expansion, keeping stuff out the chamber and so on. The hotend I will be using is a e3d water cooled volcano.

As I am going to use this in a heated chamber up to 90C at least (120C prefferd) I am looking for tubing for connecting the water loop to the hotend. What material should I use for this? Most of the local shops supply PVC and PETG tubing but I am worried that the temperature in the camber will be to high. Or will the water flowing in the tube cool it down enough to use it inside the heated chamber? Any ideas or advice?

Greetings,

Liens
Re: Heated Chamber Advice
November 07, 2020 05:07AM
Silicone is very flexible and works up to about 230°C. Use the thick-walled variety often called "Vacuum Tubing".
You can see examples of this in use in the following videos. [www.youtube.com] (at about 15:45 ) and [www.youtube.com]

Mike
November 07, 2020 11:33AM
Thanks Mike!

Totally missed the silicone tubes
November 19, 2020 02:04PM
automotive -> radiator hose, coolant hose.
tractors small and large -> radiator hose, coolant hose, hydraulic hose,
lawn mowers, small engines (2 cycle, 4 cycle engines such as chain saws and weed eaters / trimmers) = shops should have high end temperature hose.

make sure you read up on "min bend radius" for hose.
google "min bend radius hose" i want to say it is 3 or 5 times outside diameter of hose. example 1" outside diameter hose, can bend 3 to 5" in diameter, past that and hose will most likely kink or will form a kink. do not trust my numbers and google it to check.
November 20, 2020 06:49AM
boggen79
automotive -> radiator hose, coolant hose.
tractors small and large -> radiator hose, coolant hose, hydraulic hose,
lawn mowers, small engines (2 cycle, 4 cycle engines such as chain saws and weed eaters / trimmers) = shops should have high end temperature hose.

make sure you read up on "min bend radius" for hose.
google "min bend radius hose" i want to say it is 3 or 5 times outside diameter of hose. example 1" outside diameter hose, can bend 3 to 5" in diameter, past that and hose will most likely kink or will form a kink. do not trust my numbers and google it to check.

Radiator hoses are typically made of ethylene propylene rubber (EPDM) with a reinforcing fabric. In a size suitable for the coolant feed of a 3D printer hotend, say about 3mm to 4mm bore, no fabric reinforcement would be needed as the pressure is typically 50mbar to 150mbar. The catalogue price of EPDM tubing is quite a bit higher than either natural rubber tubing or silicone tubing. Thick-walled silicone tube is readily available and inexpensive and is very flexible and able to follow tight bends without kinking as well as having a very high maximum working temperature.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login