Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder gear slips over the filament

Posted by pvishalp19 
Extruder gear slips over the filament
February 25, 2021 12:28PM
I am using Bowden type extruder arrangment with 0.4 mm nozzle dia and 1.75 mm PLA Pro daisy white material (melting point 195 - 220 deg celcius). earlier I was using PLA filament (gray colour) ( melting temperature 185-210 deg celcius) but that time I was able to print without any issue. As soon as I changed my filament to new one my extruder gear started slipping over the filament and filament is not able to push through extruder. Following possible solutions I have tried to resolve this issue:

1) I cleaned my nozzle multiple times
2) I change old nozzle to new 0.4 mm nozzle
3) I dissmental the extruder assembly, cleaned the gear and reassemble it.
4) I tried to print with little higher temperature at around 220 deg celcius.

But still I am facing the same issue. Kindly suggest me any other possible solutions.
Is it possible that my new filament diameter is not 1.75mm and little more than that?

What shall I do now? Please help me in this situation.

Thank you
Re: Extruder gear slips over the filament
February 25, 2021 12:46PM
One thing to note that, when my nozzle temperature increases to melting point temperature of filament, filament starts coming out of it. How can I avoid this. Also I have calibrated my extruder and putted steps in the marlin firmware accordingly.
February 25, 2021 03:39PM
Check the end of the bowden tube inside the hotend. Those tend to wear out relatively quickly, becoming warped and clogged. Just cut off the bad part and stick it back in, or buy a new one if it's too short. Make sure the end is cut square so it mates to the nozzle and doesn't leak plastic into the threads.
February 25, 2021 04:08PM
If by extruder gear slipping over the filament you mean that the gear is chewing a divot into the filament, try increasing the pinch roller pressure on the filament drive gear. There's usually a screw with a spring that applies the pressure. Make sure the drive gear teeth are clear of powdered filament, and make the pressure adjustment a little at a time.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 25, 2021 10:13PM
In tried that also but couldn't work. When I increase pressure little bit again gear started slipping.

It is not like my gear is continuously slipping over the filament. It's intermittent slipping.
February 25, 2021 11:32PM
Do you mean the motor is skipping steps, or is the gear chewing a divot into the filament?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 26, 2021 12:08AM
Motor is running properly. It's extruder gear not able to push forward continuously and slipping over the material while printing.

Whenever I remove filament from nozzle and do cold extrusion , that time there is no slippage can be seen. But I do this with nozzle attached with hotend, that time I am facing this issue.

Could you please suggest me alternative ?
February 26, 2021 10:22PM
Hi. Is anybody there ?
Kindly give me any other suggestions.
Shall I do any changes is marlin settings?
February 27, 2021 12:22PM
Pinch the extruder lever and push some filament through by hand and see if it flows out the nozzle freely. That should help sort out whether it's a problem with the motor or gear failing to grip the filament, or something further down the line causing excessive resistance.
March 01, 2021 10:12PM
If the motor is turning and filament is not moving (or moving intermittently) and the motor is NOT cutting a divot in the filament, then you don't have enough tension on the extruder spring. When it is adjusted properly, it will leave small tooth marks in the filament. NB that too much tension is also bad.

However, there can be a multitude of reasons for the feed to jam... your hot-end is too hot or too cold, your hot-end is not assembled correctly, too much friction in your spool holder, sharp angles in the filament path, nozzle too close to the bed, etc, etc
March 03, 2021 03:38PM
If your hot end is too hot, it can cause melted filament seep around and push back up into the heat sink area where it cools and causes a blockage. It can also cause heat creep and soften filament in the heat sink junction where it suddenly cools the outer wall and blocks the path. If your Bowden tube doesn't have a nice clean cut or isn't seated properly it will help show these problems.

1: Give the end of the tube a clean cut.
2: Make sure it's seated all the way into the sink (bottom out)
3: Lower your temp to 175-180 C for first tests. Feed manually and see where it starts to melt.

220 C sounds high for PLA, heat issue is suspect IMHO.
March 04, 2021 07:23AM
For the sake of completeness:-
Make sure the filament can flow freely into the extruder. No binding of the spool or tangling of the filament on the drum. Also the rout to the extruder is clear and there is no chance of the filament being caught by the bed or carriage.
If you get a sharp bend in the filament it will reduce the diameter locally so cause slipping.

Check the pressure roller has free travel to clamp the filament. The adjuster just changes the spring loading. I think there have been occasions where the roller or the arm have hit spacers or other parts of the carriage or the gear when in partial contact with the filament. If this happens changing the spring achieves nothing as the roller can't move.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login