Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Practical texture unwrapping

Posted by sungod3k 
Practical texture unwrapping
March 09, 2021 05:03AM
Hi,

i work in orthopedics and we often cut carbonfiber mats that we lay onto plaster casts of body parts to form the frame for a prothesis.

My first idea there was to cut the cf mats with a cnc because they always have the same pattern. However Im struggling with bringing the 3d shape onto a 2d sheet.

I tried the unwrapping feature of meshmixer but the results are too distorted to be useful. I also looked into uv unwrapping with blender and other dedicated program for texturing 3d models, but thats too complex for now.

I was wondering if there is a program or plugin where I can adjust the unwrapping process e.g. define cut lines and limit the number of parts created without all the baggage and features that come with uv unwrapping software.

Cheers S.
VDX
Re: Practical texture unwrapping
March 09, 2021 06:04AM
... another methode could be to draw the "cutting lines" with a sharpie, unwrap the part, scan the lines, adjust to the real dimensions, and cut them with the laser ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 09, 2021 07:13AM
Well yes that half way how its done now. The cut lines are drawn on and then the whole thing gets scanned anyway. so i have most of the work already done. i just need to isolate the cutlines and unwrap the part.

but for the unwrap part i need some program.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2021 07:34AM by sungod3k.
March 09, 2021 08:35AM
Perhaps [tamasoft.co.jp] ?
March 09, 2021 09:18AM
Dust
Perhaps [tamasoft.co.jp] ?
interesting. just tested that with my scans. it seems to interpret each edge as one crease, so it unwraps the model on a super detailed level.
VDX
March 09, 2021 09:29AM
... yes, you have to "simplify" your scan or base 3D file to get a "simpler" unwrap - the "coarser" the 3D-mesh-density, the lower edge-counts in the unwrap ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 09, 2021 10:48AM
VDX
... yes, you have to "simplify" your scan or base 3D file to get a "simpler" unwrap - the "coarser" the 3D-mesh-density, the lower edge-counts in the unwrap ...

there is a similar plugin for fusion 360. its called "slicer" and its made for cutting plywood. it also has a feature which can simplify and unwrap based on the actual mesh edges. that theoretically works but it almost impossible to find a compromise between loss of detail via the reduction in mesh complexity and a way to complex unwrapping map.

thats why i was initially happy that meshmixer even tries to compress and upwrap at the same time. but you dont have any control over the compression. i think there could be a hybrid model where you define cutline and a certain maximum compression.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login