Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to lock this joint in ANY position? (Solved)

Posted by aFrazatto 
How to lock this joint in ANY position? (Solved)
March 18, 2021 03:48PM
Hey there people o/

Please take a look at the picture, it's not finished, I just thought it was a good idea to ask for feedback before continuing.
It's supposed to be a free turning joint, the orange part being an lock and the little red arms will have some teeth at the end to lock it in place once inserted.

But what I can't think how to do it is secure the whole thing in place once the right position is found.
It must be something easily reversible since the end project will have to be constantly "reposed" for different situations.
Everything else is going great, this is the only detail I can't quite put my head around it.

So, how would you do it?

Talking to a real person instead of the voices in my head may well be good enough help hahahah

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2021 10:38AM by aFrazatto.
Attachments:
open | download - Screenshot from 2021-03-18 16-27-50.png (104.4 KB)
Re: How to lock this joint in ANY position?
March 19, 2021 07:09AM
Sorry but i don't understand what you are trying to do. Which bits are supposed to be adjustable and which bits fixed. Then what movement are you trying to Lock?
Looks a bit like a drill chuck.
March 19, 2021 09:25AM
Maybe this will help, take a look at one of the fixed sections I'm already using (.stl file attached).
This joint goes inside a pipe and is fixed in place with a pin all the way thru. You can connect several pipes together in different angles.
[www.instagram.com]

The version I'm currently working now is a variation in which the part inside the pipe should rotate freely.
Once the right position is found, it should be secured in place, but not permanently.
Attachments:
open | download - joints.stl.zip (389 KB)
VDX
March 19, 2021 09:45AM
... construct a ball-joint - then you can squeeze the housing sideways to clamp the ball (this is pretty common with ball joint mounts - have some for my 3D dial indicators) ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 19, 2021 10:10AM
VDX
... construct a ball-joint - then you can squeeze the housing sideways to clamp the ball (this is pretty common with ball joint mounts - have some for my 3D dial indicators) ...

Hum....I see.....so everything is external........

Would you have some examples to share so I have a more clear idea of how to design the parts?
VDX
March 19, 2021 10:28AM
... it's this type of holder:

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 19, 2021 10:36AM
Ok ok so it doesn't have a lot of freedom to move around.

I guess I could make something like a jaw clamp hold by a screw that locks the ball in place when tightened.
A 3D printed part alone will probably not withstand that kind of stress for long.......

Maybe I could use a pipe section cut in half to reinforce the jaws....hummm.....

Sounds like a plan!

Thanks o/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login