Bricked my gen6.d (sanguino?) board. Worth it to fix it?
April 19, 2021 05:58AM
In attempting to backup and restore the firmware on my gen6.d board with avrdude and the USB connection to the printer, the board is now in a state where it no longer works and Pronterface cannot connect to it via USB. I am getting various sync errors whenever I try to upload anything to the board with avrdude or with the Arduino IDE.

I think the fundamental problem is that I have no programmer hardware, my gen6.d has no bootloader software installed, and my ham-fisted attempts to use avrdude over the USB connection (without separate programmer hardware) somehow messed up the device.

Before attempting to solve the problem in detail, I was wondering if it is even worth trying to solve. This gen6.d board was purchased 9 years ago and had Marlin 1.0.0 on it. I think I read that gen6 boards may not have enough RAM or ROM to run modern firmware like newer versions of Marlin. In particular I was hoping to try some firmware features like G29 manual bed leveling (https://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/G029-mbl.html), but if this old gen6.d board doesn't have enough memory to run larger, more modern firmware, then I may just forget about trying to restore this old gen6.d board.

So, my questions:

1. Opinion-based question -- would you bother trying to recover a bricked gen6.d board, or is it too old to be useful these days, considering the RAM/ROM requirements of modern firmware?

2. Technical question -- given the basic situation that I bricked the gen6.d board with avrdude over the USB connection, is it still conceivable to be able recover the board back to a usable state if I buy and use an external programmer hardware device to reflash the gen6.d board?
Re: Bricked my gen6.d (sanguino?) board. Worth it to fix it?
April 19, 2021 07:24AM
1) No, its time to upgrade to a 32 bit controller.
2) yes a avrisp should bring it back. If you upload an firmware that is to large it can (and does) over write the bootloader.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login