Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print Cost Calculator

Posted by MaxFunkner 
Print Cost Calculator
June 02, 2021 01:21PM
Here is a 3D print cost calculator. Good for 3Dprint e-shop owners or casual 3D printer users:
[3dwithus.com]

We were brave enough to measure desktop 3D printer life expectancy
(Ranges from 300-3000h, average 1500h)*

What would be your average desktop 3D printer life expectancy?

Maker, designer, and blogger on the subjects of 3D design and 3D printing.
[3dwithus.com]
Re: Print Cost Calculator
June 06, 2021 11:57PM
I wouldn't really consider there to be a life expectancy for the printer as a whole. Many parts wear out (PTFE tubes, nozzles, mechanical limit switches, belts, bearings, fans, leadscrew nuts, etc.) but all are replaceable. I'd make it a maintenance cost in dollars worth of parts and labor per 100 hours of printing time. Hard to guess what a typical value for it would be, though.
June 07, 2021 05:25AM
dekutree64
I wouldn't really consider there to be a life expectancy for the printer as a whole. Many parts wear out (PTFE tubes, nozzles, mechanical limit switches, belts, bearings, fans, leadscrew nuts, etc.) but all are replaceable. I'd make it a maintenance cost in dollars worth of parts and labor per 100 hours of printing time. Hard to guess what a typical value for it would be, though.

The idea is to add up all maintenance costs into the price of the machine instead. Let's say ​a 3D printer costs $300 and a new PTFE tube is $5 plus labor $20p/h, then the new price of the machine is 325$. And so on.
Life expectancy - as we are referring to the casual users, we suspect that the majority of 3D printers end up piling up in the storage, similar to the used mobile phones, laptops, or old routers.
June 07, 2021 11:59PM
Varies hugely between different designs though.

If you're looking for common denominators, I'd guess belt and extruder drive replacement would be quite high on wear values.

Even belts come in various kinds though, there is a general lack of uniformity between different printers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login