Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament availability in the foreseeable future?

Posted by qrp-gaijin 
Filament availability in the foreseeable future?
October 14, 2021 08:29PM
Do you think filaments like PLA will continue to be cheaply available for the foreseeable future, say the next 10-15 years? The background to my question is that I was wondering about the relative popularity of filament-based printing vs. other fabrication technologies such as resin-based printing; if filament-based printing is on a decline, then we might expect the availability of filament also to decline. Also, do major filament manufacturers exist outside of China? I'm wondering if our supply of filament depends on China, or if there is a stable international supply of filament.
Re: Filament availability in the foreseeable future?
October 14, 2021 11:08PM
If China stops exporting(especially to countries that like to rachet up the rhetoric), building a cheap printer(or many other things) could become impossible.
October 15, 2021 12:45AM
I don't think there's any danger of resin printing replacing FDM for most people. 3D printing hobbyists are among the cheapest people on the planet. Resin printing is expensive, very messy, and stinky. As you scale it up in size, the expense and mess increase exponentially. Most people won't want to bother with it.

There are plenty of plastic makers outside of China.

OTOH, in the US I'd worry more about supply disruptions due to political violence. I predict the shit will soon be hitting the fan, and when it does, you're going to be more worried about getting food and gasoline than printing starwars toys and tugboats.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 15, 2021 01:50AM
You may as well assume it will remain affordable. I doubt it will become prohibitively expensive due to "normal" reasons like resin printing popularity. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, so most likely both markets will continue to grow. If anything happens, it will be due to large scale political/economic/financial disasters, and then everything else will be just as scarce and expensive.

EDIT: Digital Dentist beat me to it smiling smiley Should have checked for other replies before writing since I left the window sitting there for a couple hours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2021 01:53AM by dekutree64.
VDX
October 15, 2021 02:34AM
... I'm tinkering with "multi-material-FDM-rinting", where I'm using lasers to melt wires (or filament) onto the surface -- here I'm using much thinner filaments (actually 0,3mm thick plastic wires from Nylon, as uses for tooth-brushes or black ABS, as its easier to melt with the blue laserdiodes) or metal wires (then with high-power IR-lasers and wires from 0,01mm on) or any material, the laser can melt ... this depends on wavelength and power - have actually a bunch of lasers/types with wavelengths from 335nm UV to 1070nm NIR and powers up to 270W DC ... and a small RF-CO2-laser with 10Watts of power for the transparent or bright plastics (450nm or 975nm would shine through) and glass wires ...

One pretty good material to replace common plastics is lignin (extracted from wood, when processing it to paper) - behaves/melts like plastic and gives amber-like results smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2021 02:35AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 12, 2022 08:35PM
Raw material is sugar for PLA.

ABS is much cheaper to make, ASU being a little more expensive.

I have noticed a price hike on carbon fiber though. Energy cost. Could be a rise on filaments using that.

I have no data on other polymer types.
January 12, 2022 08:56PM
Fairly sure Impulsegod is a search engine optimization bot

All their posts link to the same site
VDX
January 13, 2022 01:06AM
... there are some comercial filament users and producers too not only "cheapish" ones smoking smiley

Here - for example - a German based, I'm starting negotiations for another reason: [www.zedex.de]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login