Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

VENT YOUR PRINTER! DO IT NOW!

Posted by rq3 
rq3
VENT YOUR PRINTER! DO IT NOW!
January 05, 2022 04:05PM
I have been 3D printing for years, with no issues. This spring I was working on various projects, and printing almost 24/7 from February to May, primarily in PLA, but with a very small amount of PETG, PC, and ABS thrown in.

In April, I got my Covid shots (Moderna), and new eyeglasses.

Three days after the second covid shot, my ears started exuding voluminous quantities of ear wax. This progressed to severe swelling of my ears and eyes, with fluid leakage and shedding of the entire layer of skin every day. Over a period of months, the reaction spread to my lower back, elbows, and lower legs.

During 4 visits to the ER, I was prescribed antihistamines, then cortisone cream, then oral and intravenous steroids, with little improvement. I was then referred to a dermatologist, who diagnosed contact dermatitis, and given a 3 day "patch test". The only positive reaction was to...gold. Meanwhile I had changed my glasses, laundry detergent, and bought new pillows.

He surmised that the covid shots had put my immune system into over-drive, and that the new plastic framed glasses might be reponsible, but using my old metal frame glasses didn't help, and the Covid booster (J&J) in late August again made the issue worse within 3 days.

He prescribed a gene suppressing ointment (just approved by the FDA at $2500 for a 2 ounce tube), which slowly helped tremendously. But meanwhile, I had done no 3D printing. Last week I fired up the printer for a 3 hour PLA print. BANG! Instant reaction!

To confirm, I wiped a finger across the dust on the inside of my printer and touched it to my lower eyelid. Within 5 minutes, I thought I was going to die.

I'm certainly not saying that this can, or will, happen to everyone, but see the attached photo to scare yourself. Normally, I'm almost, but not quite, that ugly. I see the dermatologist again next week, and I'm sure he will be interested in this finding, and the various studies that have been done showing the astronomical quantities of particles and vapors emitted during 3D printing.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2022 04:15PM by rq3.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_6075.jpeg (90.5 KB)
Re: VENT YOUR PRINTER! DO IT NOW!
January 05, 2022 08:01PM
Nightmare. I don't think I know anybody that has Moderna and been well after it.

Myself I have had two Astra Zenica and a Pfizer booster and haven't' had an problems with my 3D printers, or any other side effects apart from sore arm and very mild headache.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
VDX
January 06, 2022 12:40AM
... I'm vaccinated and boostered with Moderna - every time 2 days long some "side effects", every time slightly "heftier" than before -- but better than otherwise ... my dad died with covid sad smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 06, 2022 07:09AM
Yikes! Feel better soon!

My eye would have been the 2nd last place I would have touched!

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 06, 2022 12:30PM
Well, I guess if 55-60 million people die every year we shouldn't bother trying to prevent any deaths, by any cause, because people will just go out and find some other way to die anyway.

K-12 defibrillators- maybe those aren't there primarily for the kids, maybe they're there for the adults that use the space as well, you know, teachers, parents, grandparents, staff, etc.

I've had several COVID tests in the last 2 years and they've all been manufactured by pharm companies in the US. What does either Chinese or "communist" have to do with anything related to virus tests? What are you suggesting about the tests? Are they going to deposit nanobots that will turn you into a communist in your nose?

Dude, you have to turn off the bullshit you're reading on "social" media, and quit watching the idiotic right wing so-called "news" shows. They're turning your mind into mush.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2022 12:34PM by the_digital_dentist.

January 06, 2022 03:05PM
Funny, both sides of the pond, same rambling from the anti vaccine crowd !

DirtySteve, you should REALLY get this printer out of your room. Not just the chemicals, but magnetic fields can interfere with brainwaves.

Since the beginning and not being a MD (I have some in my family though) I have been watching this youtube . Spot on.

[www.youtube.com]

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
January 06, 2022 03:32PM
For some reason, we have become seriously stoopid in the last few decades. For a long time I thought it was an effect of the internet and antisocial media, but I'm starting to think there may be some real physical damage that is the cause of the dumbing down of society: leaded gasoline

One of the many detriments to the use of tetra ethyl lead in gasoline from the 20s-70s in the US is a decline in average intelligence due to early childhood exposure to lead in car exhaust. Now if the average IQ dropped a few points, then certainly, some were affected more than others, so we have a bunch of people who were turned into blithering idiots and some who may not have been affected at all. People from 50 YO and up grew up in the leaded gasoline era. Look at the people who do things like support Trump, trash the US Capital, spout Q-anon and anti vax nonsense- they're primarily in that age group. So my "theory" is all these morons who have crawled out from under their rocks poor, benighted folks who have turned up in the last few years are all brain damaged by breathing leaded gasoline exhaust fumes as children.

See: [news.un.org]

Unfortunately, there's no way to reverse the damage. We just have to live with them until those two or three generations die off. Hopefully they won't take the rest of us with them as they circle the drain, though they are trying hard with the anti vax nonsense.

January 06, 2022 10:49PM
So many people taken up the experimental vax, only to be told after they started that they should mix it with another, and then get another booster, then along comes the multivarient booster they tell you to give that a go, .....but omicron comes along and they suggest you get that to really round off that leaky protection....with all this science coursing through your veins why so worried about the unvaxed?
especially when they report 95% of ppl have antibodies. the BS is strong with this one.

Even Dr J C spots the BS sometimes..more & more lately.

I doubt its your printer at fault

have you filled out your 'yellow' card? did the Doctor recommend or fill in for you?

The MHRA operates the Yellow Card scheme on behalf of the Commission on Human Medicines (CHM). The scheme collects and monitors information on suspected safety concerns or incidents involving vaccines, medicines, medical devices, and e-cigarettes. The scheme relies on voluntary reporting of suspected adverse incidents by healthcare professionals and members of the public (patients, users, or carers). The purpose of the scheme is to provide an early warning that the safety of a product may require further investigation. Further information about the Yellow Card scheme, including its contribution to identifying safety issues can be found on the Yellow Card website.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2022 04:21AM by MechaBits.
January 07, 2022 03:28AM
I have a lot of serious concerns about sars-cov2 and the lack of scientific rigor behind the vaccines along with some alarming statistics and research that is being published. That being said, I come here to read about 3D printers, not engage in social or political discourse. How about we stick with that.

Ventilating your printer work area is generally a good practice many of us should take heed of. Myself included.

rq3, I wish you a speedy recovery and hopefully you find a viable solution that allows you to continue to enjoy this wonderful hobby.

-Joe
January 07, 2022 05:23AM
rq3, that sounds and looks truly unpleasant. I hope that you will overcome the allergy and be able to get back to 3D printing. From a personal point of view, the testing of your TAP-XXX Nozzle Contact Sensors which was delayed by my own infirmities, and is now being further delayed by the weather will be less useful if you have been forced to leave the field.

On another point, I find it alarming that DirtySteve's postings here have been removed. Even though his posts were, not to put too fine a point on it, and at the risk of being scolded or banned myself, BATSHIT CRAZY, they were not totally inappropriate as they dealt with an aspect of 3D printing.

Even though his posts were also objectionable, they did contain specific claims and arguments that had a superficial appearance of logic, removing them stopped anybody from refuting his numbers or dismantling his arguments.

Censuring by removal runs the risk of it becoming a habit and the result becomes:-

FIRST THEY CAME (REDACTED)
By xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx

First they came for the xxxxxxxxxx
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a xxxxxxxxx
Then they came for the xxxxxxxxxx
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a xxxxxxxxx
Then they came for the xxxxx xxxxxxxxx
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a xxxxx xxxxxxxx
Then they came for the xxxx
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a xxx
Then they came for me
And there was no one left
To speak out for me.

In case anybody lost the thread: GET VACCINATED, VACCINES WORK
but please don't use the existence of the deranged as an opportunity to censor everything.

Mike
VDX
January 07, 2022 05:33AM
... hmmm ... it was not me, who deleted the posts -- I was more thinking about closing the thread and leave it there ... but there are some other mods and admins, which will react accordingly or on their own merits ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

January 07, 2022 07:37AM
Just lock it. The discussion is largely off topic, and frankly just annoying. Anyone want to talk about covid or vaccines I'll gladly do so via PM. Lets keep that crap out of the public discourse on *this* website.

We get enough covid and its associated vitriol literally everywhere else. Not here please.

rq3, I wish you a speedy recovery.
VDX
January 07, 2022 10:50AM
... agreed ...

Viktor
--------

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.