Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thingiverse perhaps not great

Posted by leadinglights 
Thingiverse perhaps not great
March 29, 2022 08:36AM
O.K., everybody who uses this forum knows that Thingiverse is not great - indeed, saying it is f***ing useless would be quite charitable. As an additional little bit of not-greatness, they have now specifically stopped PDF files from being uploaded.

I had a request for an amended file for a Thing I had on Thingiverse [www.thingiverse.com] so I created the requested STL files and uploaded them to Thingiverse and then edited my existing assembly instructions to reflect the changes. When I tried to upload the now .PDF file I found that PDFs were no longer uploadable - a condition that seems to have started about February this year. This proscription seems to be specific to .PDF files and I have been able to upload replacement instructions for Microsoft Word (.DOCX), Libre Office (.ODT) and Rich Text Format (.RTF). I was going to add .EPUB, .XML, .HTML and even .WPD (WordPerfect) but I thought three different formats was enough.

Mike
VDX
Re: Thingiverse perhaps not great
March 29, 2022 09:45AM
Hi Mike,

... some more info for the cause? -- if for security reason, then some of the other formats are even more "vulnerable" confused smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 30, 2022 05:25AM
I appear to have deeply offended Thingiverse and the thing mentioned above now comes up as "404 - You have reached the end of the Thingiverse". I had thought that I reached what would be a method of publishing the assembly instructions by uploading two files, the PDF assembly instructions file without an extension, and a README.TXT file with instructions to add a PDF extension to the assembly instructions file.

It seems that workarounds are not permitted and I guess in the original terms of service I gave up any right to question or bypass anything Thingiverse decides.

Mike
VDX
March 30, 2022 06:48AM
... so next "drawback" in the "makerbot-universe" sad smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 30, 2022 08:27AM
I'm no fan of Thingiverse, but why do you need to upload a pdf file? You can't just copy and paste text, and upload a few pictures?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 30, 2022 08:50AM
Just use [www.printables.com] (formally prusaprinters.org)

Abandon thingiverse and never look back
March 30, 2022 09:34AM
youmagine.com seems to work OK most of the time.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 30, 2022 02:42PM
the_digital_dentist
I'm no fan of Thingiverse, but why do you need to upload a pdf file? You can't just copy and paste text, and upload a few pictures?

Due to a poor upbringing involving education, military service, apprenticeships and so on, I tend to document everything I do. Looking back I realize that a much closer acquaintanceship with marijuana, chicks and rock and roll would have left me with more pleasant memories but I slipped into bad ways and the path of my life can be found in a paper trail of drawings, specifications, bills of material and assembly instructions

The PDF files that I include with things I have published on Thingiverse can be up to 10 pages long with dimensioned drawings, photographs, parts lists, bits of code and notes on assembly. It is difficult to get much in the instructions part of Thingiverse and a PDF is useful when downloaded along with the STL files for the parts.

I will look closely at youmagine.com and printables.com, hopefully, I will be able to work with them as I used to with Thingiverse before they went to the dark side.

Mike
March 31, 2022 06:18AM
I have been looking at Youmagine and Printables and would like to put all of my existing and future designs on one or both of these. I am a little concerned as I seem to remember that part of the T&Cs for Thingiverse was that they owned the sole right to distribute the files of anything that was uploaded there. Knowing that the spite of large organizations that feel offended is truly terrible to behold, I wonder if I miss-remember.

BTW, I have registered with printables.com but youmagine.com is broken at the moment - something about a 500 error. I will try again later.

Mike
April 05, 2022 07:03AM
Thingiverse now seems to be catastrophically broken: New models seem only to be able to be viewed by their creator - and sometimes not even then. No attempts seem to be happening to fix it
I have copied most of my things to Printables.com where there is a lot more activity and may abandon putting anything on Thingiverse.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login