Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anybody got a DIY filament maker / extruder?

Posted by Noel39NI 
Anybody got a DIY filament maker / extruder?
July 25, 2022 03:58PM
I've been trying to find somebody with a DIY filament maker for a little while now. I'm trying to establish the feasibility of adding some
graphene I have made into recycled plastic prior to it being extruded into a new filament so it's characteristics can be examined.
I've had some experience adding graphene into polymers in the past, but with polyurethane where I encountered some exciting
results and want to know if the same thing can be done with recycled materials in the context of 3d printing.

Small problem I don't own a 3d printer and I don't own a filament extruder.
VDX
Re: Anybody got a DIY filament maker / extruder?
July 25, 2022 04:39PM
... have a friend here in Germany, wo is mixing and extruding his own filaments ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 25, 2022 05:00PM
Could you possibly get in contact with him, see if he'd be interested in a little collaboration?
I know it's graphene because I made it and then had it independently analysed at a Nano
technologies institute so it's legit material.
VDX
July 25, 2022 05:38PM
... here is one of his sites - [www.dailymotion.com]

And contact - [web2.cylex.de]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

July 25, 2022 05:57PM
Thank you, I have contacted him on Facebook and will await a response.
VDX
July 26, 2022 01:56AM
... you can refer to me if some more specific questions or negotiations smoking smiley

Viktor
--------

July 26, 2022 09:03AM
I don't believe at this stage the idea can be progressed further. I received quick correspondence
from your kind friend explaining that the graphene would need to be integrated into plastic pellets.
first of all prior to being fed into the extruder. I am ill-equipped for synthesis of polymers
and ill-financed to have a factory produce a minimum order quantity of pellets for me.

Instead I will probably explore integration into recyclables outside of 3d printing until
I am better positioned. We did succeed in stopping rifle calibre munitions just by manually
mixing the material into an off the shelf thermoset resin so we should be able to accomplish
something, somehow.
VDX
July 26, 2022 09:42AM
... my best bet for graphene is focussing on "big" monomolecular layers or "endless" stripes and strands -- this is the most valuable direction for graphene or similar materials (e.G. "borophene").

I have an idea for the synthesis of "endles strands" with a merely simple setup ... but actually no partner or possibilities to do this in a "serious" way ... more than occupied by my day-job, which is connected with/from my hobbies too smoking smiley

Viktor
--------

July 26, 2022 10:28AM
The only way I'm aware off for long strips of graphene would be through chemical vapour deposition which is a fantastic technology though an expensive one. I did succeed in bridging the gap between graphene in powder form
and graphene in sheet form but that involved electroless plating of graphene flakes to form a type of matrix or plate metal graphene composite. That can be done in a beaker, not sure of the potential application for it other than
it's sub 1 Ohm resistance. It would need to be sintered at high temps to make it viable though that creates problems for graphene because it doesn't do well in high temperature atmosphere in the presence of oxygen. Therefore
a vacuum would be required or at the very least a temporary protective barrier the latter of which can be done with activated carbon. All of this comes at a cost of course.
VDX
July 26, 2022 10:47AM
... think about a setup with carbon, oxygene an hydrogene ions in a closed tank at 900 degC, and inserting a "cooled" metal surface at around 700 degC -- there will start a "condensation" or better "synthesis" of different types of carbon molecules from graphene, graphite, fulerenes, carbon nanotubes to diamond ... the less stable molecules will be "resolved" again by the hydrogen ions, so only the more "stable" will remain as "crystallizing cores".

With the right setup (composition, temps, surface material and some more) you can "control" the result and the extracting process/procedure to get "endless" strands of diamond or graphene ... but this is some "hidden know-how", I won't discuss in open eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2022 10:48AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------

July 26, 2022 11:11AM
I hope you get the chance to test your hypothesis some time, it certainly sounds interesting and good luck with it.
I will direct my attentions elsewhere until I have my graphene in pellet format then maybe I will explore this idea.
again.
VDX
July 26, 2022 01:26PM
... it's not only a hypothesis -- some 20+years ago there were developments for better chip-cooling, where the chips would be placed not on ceramic substrate, but on thin diamond-layers with superior isolation and thermal conductivity, which were made/synthetized with this methode.

They even managed to create "isotopic pure" diamond windows with much better thermal conductivity than made from "normal" carbon ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2022 01:27PM by VDX.

Viktor
--------

July 26, 2022 06:15PM
I have utilised my graphene for cooling chips but only as a conventional thermal interface material and this works pretty good in on itself, but if they can figure on
actually the laying the circuitry upon a diamond substrate then that could be revolutionary!
VDX
July 26, 2022 08:18PM
... exactly my thoughts then too! ... but after showing excellent results this didn't got into use ... some other, "promising" developments too, didn't survive/mature eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------

July 26, 2022 08:49PM
The trouble could be controllability of how the carbon deposits on the substrate. I'm thinking quite possibility the carbon may not deposit in a perfect sheet but instead grow outwards from single
points rather like snowflakes which then may begin overlapping and so rather than a perfect sheet, you end up with defects. Perhaps temperature and gas input can be regulated in a bid to
control some of this but absent observation through an electron microscope it may become challenging.
VDX
July 26, 2022 09:29PM
... AFAIK they got pretty "perfect" windows ... the "isotopic uniform" synthesis too got super-flat sheets ... which could be grown even thicker.

Could be, there was some misbehaving for the "synthetic" vs. "natural" diamond folks confused smiley

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login