Buying mini lathe in UK cheaply?
June 30, 2011 03:47PM
I'm in teh market for a lathe, preferably a 7x12 or larger, but looking around, the cheapest i can find is £350, but i'm sorta looking for round the £200 mark, :/ anyone know of any?
Re: Buying mini lathe in UK cheaply?
June 30, 2011 09:42PM
Would be interested in that as well....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2011 09:47PM by ElectricMucus.
July 01, 2011 02:40AM
350 is pretty good would you mind linking? second hand?

a good place to look would be industrial/business related auctions
July 01, 2011 01:11PM
This is actually the first mini lathe i found, turns out to be the best 1 after half an hour of googling >grinning smiley<
July 02, 2011 02:48AM
The Sherline is a good mini lathe too. But it depends what you can find second hand for that money.

You normally get what you pay for with machine tools.

Make your Mendel twice as accurate.
[www.thingiverse.com]
July 02, 2011 09:54AM
You may find the smaller lathes are more expensive in the second hand market. A large lathe will probably be cheaper as they are less sort after on the hobby market. The only problem is they tend to be very large/heavy and require 3 phase power. Old large machines are almost worthless. Priced for scrap rather than as tools.

If you are a keen DIY'er you might have a look at Build a Complete Metalworking Shop from Scrap.
This is a series of books telling you how to cast aluminium and build workshop tools with the technique.

Book 1. Charcoal foundry.
Book 2. How to build a lathe.
Book 3. Metal shaper.
Book 4. Milling machine.
Book 5. Drill press
Book 6. Lathe addon's
Book 7. Sheet metal break

Each book builds on the last. I have followed book 1 and have successfully cast aluminium using little more than barbecue charcoal, some casting sand and a home build foundry. I found a cheap lathe so didn't need to go any further with it but I still have the casting equipment in the shed and pull it out every now and again to make something.

These are quite old books but they are a great resource.

Hope this inspires.

Regards

Rob
robsbots
Probably not as cheap as you were wanting but I think a very good buy. Look at Chesteruk.net.

Regards,

Mac
July 03, 2011 04:34PM
Meh i'll just wait till I can afford an emco compact 5 on ebay eye rolling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login