Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What to Build Next

Posted by Rustybolts57 
What to Build Next
February 08, 2023 08:03AM
Hi all, I am new to the group and 3D printing. A couple of months ago (about the same time I retired) I saw a Hackaday about building a 3D printer and decided to try making one. I went with a Huxley. I didn't already have a printer so I had to fabricate all of the parts from a sheet of 1/2" teflon and scrap aluminum that I had. Amazingly, it works. Now I want to build something bigger. I had thought of just expanding the Huxley but the frame is light at 6mm. I would like a ~10" bed. I was was looking at Adapto because it seemed easy to alter the build size. Any thoughts or suggestions for what to build next?

Thanks
Re: What to Build Next
February 08, 2023 08:16AM
A lot of people are building voron 2.4r2 printers.

Pros: CoreXY, fast, enclosed, bed is fixed, runs kipper, comes in 3 standard build platform sizes (250,300,350mm square). Can just get a kit and print plastics or self source.
Cons: expensive, runs klipper (yes its a pro and a con) Klipper requires a controlling computer, normally a raspberry pi us used (currently unobtainable), more of a challenge(or is that a pro?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2023 08:18AM by Dust.
February 08, 2023 08:47AM
Dust
A lot of people are building voron 2.4r2 printers.

Pros: CoreXY, fast, enclosed, bed is fixed, runs kipper, comes in 3 standard build platform sizes (250,300,350mm square). Can just get a kit and print plastics or self source.
Cons: expensive, runs klipper (yes its a pro and a con) Klipper requires a controlling computer, normally a raspberry pi us used (currently unobtainable), more of a challenge(or is that a pro?)

Thanks for the suggestion but I think that sounds more like printer #3,Lol. I had to Google CoreXY, Voron and Klipper.
February 08, 2023 05:01PM
Vorons are also built with Duet electronics and RepRapFirmware. No need for a Raspberry Pi.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 08, 2023 07:36PM
I built this using 3D printed parts for the corexy mechanism, with a Duet wifi controller board:

More: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 09, 2023 05:15PM
If you wanting to print more arty things like burst and vases then look at Deltas like a Kossel, if you leaning towards more mechanical parts then the voron/ hypercube corexy style would be a good route to take.
February 12, 2023 08:13AM
jinx
If you wanting to print more arty things like burst and vases then look at Deltas like a Kossel, if you leaning towards more mechanical parts then the voron/ hypercube corexy style would be a good route to take.

That is helpful advice, I don't think I need vases. Thank you
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login