Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

best post processing method to get smooth prints

Posted by sungod3k 
best post processing method to get smooth prints
March 25, 2023 09:26AM
Hi,

I got a request to print a cosplay helmet for someone, but I dont want to sand PLA, or bondo such complex structures.

Im familar with the polysmooth system and im thinking about building a bigger polysher --> [filament2print.com]

but i wonder if there isnt a generally accepted better way or maybe a new material that i havent heard of that sands better than PLA?

Cheer F
VDX
Re: best post processing method to get smooth prints
March 25, 2023 11:39AM
... printingwith ABS and then vapoursmoothing with Acetone maybe?

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 26, 2023 06:22AM
yeah, this is a possibility but i havent found a clear recipe that avoids the parts getting weak, (a possibility that exists with the polysher as well).
and acetone vapors are probbaly unhealthier than alcohol vapors.

but i imgine that my proposed bigger polysher could handle acetone as well.
March 26, 2023 12:35PM
Sand blasting ?
The downside is the need for the equipment, and most of all a powerfull compressor. 5+ HP or it will take ages.
Seems to me PCBWay, JLCPCB and other do it this way.

Could a tumbler do it ?

For PLA, chlorinated solvents work the same way acetone works for ABS. But not easy to source.
March 26, 2023 01:49PM
Likely out of your price range, but the E3D tool changer has an option called ASMBL which uses a small milling tool to do the finishing of the print.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 27, 2023 01:48AM
@dc42

yeah looking forward to what the new prusa will be able to do on that front.
or putting a little spayer on one of the toolheads and spraying solvent around the model every few layers could also be interesting.

looking at my research over the last 2 days XTC3D paint on resin or alcohol vapor smoothing are my favorites so far.
April 14, 2023 07:04PM
sungod3k
Hi,

I got a request to print a cosplay helmet for someone, but I dont want to sand PLA, or bondo such complex structures.

Im familar with the polysmooth system and im thinking about building a bigger polysher --> [filament2print.com]

but i wonder if there isnt a generally accepted better way or maybe a new material that i havent heard of that sands better than PLA?

Cheer F

I recently did a full sized helmet for a friend.
Printed PLA then used a bondo type with the flexible spreader so it was applied smoothly to the curves of the helmet.
After carefully sanding then used automotive primer and paint for a mirror finish.
Mine was all done by hand.

It does take care, and precision but not all that difficult to get a great result.
The use of automotive primer in multiple colors allows one to fill in minor imperfections for a great result. Just like in a body shop paint booth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login