Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DIY quick change extruder/hotend system

Posted by sungod3k 
DIY quick change extruder/hotend system
May 26, 2023 02:28PM
Hi,

I want to build a quick swap extruder system like the wham bam mutant [www.youtube.com] and i once bought these [de.aliexpress.com] plugs that have two thicker terminal for the hotend wires.
but paying 150 for a full kit seems a little steep.

i found projects like this [www.hackster.io] but i was surprised not finding a DIY solution.

have you ever come across something similar?

Cheers.
F.
Re: DIY quick change extruder/hotend system
May 30, 2023 06:50AM
Since nobody has replied, maybe nobody has thought of it, but it should not be difficult. I would suggest you start by looking up Pogo pin connectors on eBay or Amazon and google for Maxwell Couplings. You will need something to lock it all together and strong magnets would be a possibility.

Mike
June 06, 2023 12:18PM
Hi Mike,

great project!

I also haven't yet found a real open standard on this subject.

I don't think anyone has replied to you because this forum has been a bit deserted by users who have been siphoned off by social networks + reddit, discord, etc... which increases the effort of online presence tenfold.

I always feel like I'm wandering around a magnificent immense abandoned palace with its antique library full of treasures of knowledge when I come to this forum, but it's also very difficult to make contacts here in 2023.

I'd also be interested in a standard interface for my little project, but for the moment I'm changing the connectors directly on the control board in the drawer, which is also very practical, because at the moment I still have a lot of undefined points.

ADG AKA GA3D_tech ------ [www.instagram.com]------ [www.reprap.org] ------ [ga3d.tech]
June 07, 2023 02:56PM
Alvon3DprinTor
...................... I always feel like I'm wandering around a magnificent immense abandoned palace with its antique library full of treasures of knowledge when I come to this forum, but it's also very difficult to make contacts here in 2023. .........................

Early on I thought that if a page got a few hundred views then a few hundred people had opened the page in some expectation of enlightenment. In reality, 95% of the views are from bots - and most of these bots have been abandoned to endlessly search these immense abandoned palaces.

Hmmm, I can feel a dystopian novel coming on.

Mike
VDX
June 07, 2023 03:19PM
... yes, this forum is sort of aged ... but as long as its functional and usefull, there are some people beside me, maintaining it ... if we have the time ... so hold on! smileys with beer

For easy/fast (and cheap) exchangeable connectors you can look into ZIF sockets (Zero Insertion Force), as were common for EPROMs or such:

[eu.mouser.com]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 11, 2023 03:07PM
Yes, thank you Victor for being one of the guardians of the temple :-)!

this forum and the reprap wiki are invaluable.

getting back to the sockets, those ZIFs are cool, but they're really expensive!

ADG AKA GA3D_tech ------ [www.instagram.com]------ [www.reprap.org] ------ [ga3d.tech]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login